+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coving/Happy Feet/ Wall foam? To use or not to use?

Default Coving/Happy Feet/ Wall foam? To use or not to use?

Hey guys...Thanks for the help so far with choosing a pool brand and finding an installer. I have a question concerning the use of coving/happy feet and wall foam...I've done lots of searches on the forum with great info on these products but I want to be clear on how they work and why one may want them BEFORE i go to the pool stores to try and find the best deal. (That's the way I shop for cars too and I think this seems similar in our area of the world do far!)

Does coving actually help protect the liner or walls in a way that could lengthen the life of our pool or is it just for the look and feel (and use of a auto cleaner on the walls)?

Happy footing..I understand its mostly for comfort but does it help protect the liner at all? Do you use it in combination with sand or alone only or does it matter either way?

Wall foam..Does this offer any protection of length of life to the pool or is it also for comfort?

Thanks!

Default Re: Coving/Happy Feet/ Wall foam? To use or not to use?

I'm getting a Liner Replaced and my pool guy recommends against wall foam.

He said termites could get behind it.

What's Happy Feet and Coving?

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

As far as I'm concerned, it's a big money grab, it's the same foam you can buy to package items for shipping, at 10 times the cost.
    Sand coves are fine, if you want, tape some 6mil vapor barrier against the lower wall and wrap it onto the floor in an L and build your cove on it, this will ensure the cove can't wash out if you have a leak near it. - that's what I did and it's great.
    Happy walls and happy bottom are just that because the manufacturer is really HAPPY when you buy it, if you want, use blue or pink styrofoam on the bottom, don't waste your money on the stuff the pool stores sell.

Ditto what Matt said. Give me a quality pool on firm, level ground with a sand base anyday of the week.

Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

I have the cove and the foam bottom on mine, the first time I didn't, and I happen to like the feel of my bottom better with it. The sand tended to get footprints in it and the foam does not. The rigid pink or blue insulation foam would probably get footprints in it also. I would recommend against that personally as it cracks and dents easily. But I am sure that the foam can be had for cheap if you were to get it for packaging purposes, especially if you got it direct from the manufacturer.

Just a couple of more points, not to argue, just for thought.

On my last pool I used 1 1/2" styrafoam 4 x 8 sheets. I had them on hand and wanted to use them for something. I liked the end result very much. The bottom was just a little softer than sand and there were never any footprints or cracks. Thickness may be a factor there.

In many cases sand can lead to lots and lots of footprints. I am talking about a good sand installation. Without wrinkles and footprints. Not everyone can do that so other options may be better for you.

One thing I can say about sand compared to any other types of base. If you do get wrinkles in the bottom sand is the easiest base to smooth them out and make the liner look presentable. With a harder surface wrinkles can become a nightmare.

Best of luck, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

I have a sand bottom in my pool, and sand coves with the vapor barrier in an L shape to hold the sand back, and i can attest to hrdennis' statement, if done right, sand bottoms are excellent and also the cheapest way to go.
    I took my time making sure it was nice and flat (although I did dip it 8" deeper to the middle which is REALLY hard to do with rigid foam), and i spent a lot of time compacting everything well.
    It's a bit more involved to get the liner in without causing dents in the sand, but it's not impossible at all

+ Reply to Thread