+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Convincing significant others about using bleach

Default Convincing significant others about using bleach

I imagine there are many like me (last year) that want to try the bleach method but expect difficulty convincing a significant other who may not be so open minded or haven't taken the time to do the research.

I think it would be very beneficial if there was a write up comparing why chlorine is the best sanitzer/oxidizer for a pool, the various forms chlorine comes in and the pros and cons of each form. Perhaps even include some of the common myths and objections you're likely to hear from pool store types on why you shouldn't use bleach.

I would be more than happy to write the text, but unfortunately don't know all the info. It would be great if those that do would pick a form and list the pros and cons, which I could then assemble. Unless of course someone in the know would just want to do the whole thing

I know if I could have printed out a logical, unbiased article on why bleach was as good as or better than anything at the pool store last year my life would have been a lot easier.

So, we've got-

Bleach, aka Sodium Hypochlorite in all it's various percentages.

Di-chlor granulated chlorine.

Tri-chlor granulated and formed.

Calcium hypo in varying strengths.

Lithium Hypochlorite.

Any others?

Anyone up to the task?

Default Re: Convincing significant others about using bleach

Bens ( this forum's owner ) has most of this laid out pretty well on his
    other web site

check out http://www.poolsolutions.com/sitemap.html#info_from

Kind of, but not specific and consise as I'm hoping for.

Care to pick a product and pro and con away?

ivyleager is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher ivyleager 0

Just tell the S.O. that chlorine is chlorine, the end product is the same.

CaryB
    Go 'Canes!!

Well, I told her she should enjoy wait; is this a family forum? Perhaps I should just stop there.

Suffice it say that sometimes just stating the obvious isn't adequate...

Not exactly the same thing, but a lot of great points

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=2117

I'll start with some basics the way I understand them. Please feel free to correct me where wrong and add as you see fit-

Di-chlor. Granular chlorine with stabilizer added. Pros- Dissolves quickly, low impact on PH. Cons- Repeated use causes stabilizer build up resulting in more chlorine needed to do the same job or a partial draining and refilling to lower the stabilizer total.

Tri-chlor. Can be granular or pressed and formed (sticks and tabs) chlorine with stabilizer added. Pros- Fast dissolving in granular form, slow in pressed and formed which can be added to skimmer baskets or chlorinators to slowly dissolve and add chlorine to the pool. Cons- very acidic, can effect PH levels, same stabilizer build up issues as dichlor.

Calcium Hypochlorite- Usually granular chlorine with added calcium. Pros- Doesn't contain stabilizer so no build up issues. Added calcium can protect plaster etc. pool walls and floor. Low impact on PH. Cons- Very slow dissolving, can damage vinyl liners. Calcium content can add to TDS and cause hazy water until filtered out. Filtering out can cause a hard build up on DE filters that makes a breakdown and manual cleaning necessary, causing pool downtime (personal experience).

Lithium Hypochlorite- Granular chlorine. Pros- Very fast dissolving. Low impact on PH. No added stabilizer. Cons- Most expensive source of chlorine available.

Sodium Hypochlorite, aka Bleach- Liquid Chlorine. Pros- In liquid form so it's pre-dissolved. Low impact on PH. No added stabilizer. Comes in varying percentages such as 3%, 5.25%, 10% and 12.5%. Least expensive form of chlorine available. Readily available, can be purchased at grocery and department stores (yes the same "laundry bleach" is the same as the pool store "liquid chlorine", sometimes the percentages vary is all. Check the label to adjust quantity necessary to do the job). Cons- Disposing of plastic jugs. Pool store owners frown at you.

Something like that.

Default Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda

As a business person (not in pool industry), I have a big problem with competition because it takes away income from my business. Like any business owner, I do what I can to fight the competition and try to come out on top.
    So I'm going to be very honest with you when I say that if I owned a pool store, I would do my very best to convince you that Bleach, Borax and Baking Soda are not pool care chemicals and are VERY BAD for your pool and can potentially cause serious damage to your pool, equipment and to people swimming in it. I would also inform you of my professional qualifications and many years of experience in the industry so you will see that I am a trusted authority on the subject. Now having said that, when I go home after work I would use Bleach, Borax and Baking Soda to maintain my own pool; not the products I sell in my store!
    Last edited by victus; 06-03-2006 at 12:58 AM.

victus,

I find that most consumers will go out of their way to support and purchase from a business that is HONEST and does what is in the best interests of its customers. That's how I sell products (not pool products) and that is why my competition does not do well.

IMHO, it find it depressing that business owners think that they need to "fool" or lie to their customers in order to maintain a profit. BTW - I do own a start-up with my husband as well.

I would be more likely to buy the supplies I needed from the local pool store (like polyquat or equipment) if I felt they had my best interests in mind.
    Completed 8/21/06
    14,000 gallon 3'-6' concrete pool with Diamond Brite
    Spa with spillway
    250K BTU gas heater (for spa)
    SWCG - Aqua Rite
    Hayward Super II Pump - Cartridge filter

See pictures here http://www.philsimmons.com/family/ga...mages&keyword=

Thumbs up Re: Convincing significant others about using bleach

Quote Originally Posted by Rangeball
    I'll start with some basics the way I understand them.
    Thanks Rangeball I think that's an excellent overview.
    Maybe once some other people have had their say it should be made a sticky?

I might add (from very recent experience ) that liquid chlorine also presents a risk of spraying onto you if applied on a windy day

+ Reply to Thread