+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone using salt w/o SWG in their chlorine pool?

Default Anyone using salt w/o SWG in their chlorine pool?

I don't think any of these threads survived.

I had heavily contemplated adding salt to my bleach pool last year after reading some of the threads on it.

Of course I've forgotten why or how

Anyone doing this that would like to share their experience?

What PPM did you find works best?

Default Re: Anyone using salt w/o SWG in their chlorine pool?

after reading some of the lost posts last year I took the plunge and poured about 5 bags of water softener ( plain ) salt into our pool. We use bleach.

I never told my wife what I was doing. Two days later she commented. Gee the pool water sure is nice. It did indeed make it feel better and the eye irritation was almost zero. We never had red eye because it was pretty well balanced following the BBB routines here. It just got nicer with the salt in it.

I put 5 bags in a 16 x 32 IG pool. I think I might have put in 1 bag more than I needed. Now you can only just taste the salt. ( idiot ... I got the salt level test kit AFTER pouring in the 5 bags )

Without the old postings, I think I put in about 1/2 of the amount they suggest for a SWG pool.

Hopefully someone else will have a real number for you.

Brent, why did you put in the salt - just to soften the water? How long did it take to dissolve?
    18x42 Spartan Roman End Vinyl Inground (1981)
    1HP Hayward Superpump -- Hayward Perflex EC-65 DE Filter

I just finished adding 120 more pounds of salt a week ago. This is the second year I’ve added this amount. I did a partial drain over the winter so I added more this year. Tested water at local pool store and they gave me a reading of 1200ppm. Now I don't have a whole lot of faith in their test so I really should upgrade to the PS234 and test for myself. It took about an hour to dissolve but I had a little help, Invited 4 of the neighborhood kids to come over and stir things up. They got a big kick out of the crystals at the bottom. Must have caught on as my neighbor added some to his pool for the first time. I add salt to my pool to soften the water. I’ve noticed that my skin doesn’t feel as dry after getting out and I hear salt water is more buoyant, like I need more of that.

David D
    16,000 gal I/G fiberglass
    Figure 8 w/ De Filter

I put it in because many folks on the old forum had reported that it just made the water feel better. And it did do that. It felt more natural, where as lots of pool water feels sort of harsh. Hard to explain.

It all dissolved in 15 minutes or so. I poured it slowly into the skimmer and you could just about pour it continuously. I guess a bag every 7 to 10 minutes or so.

If you want to try it, dump in the first couple of bags and then swim in the water. Add one at a time after that. It's easy to add a bit more and the only way to know when you're done is to go too far. So don't go much to far. It will gradually get reduced through rainfall and backwashing and refilling anyway and when you do go too far the only downside is you can taste the salt a bit more than you might have liked.

I think I'll give this a try myself. I have a 20x40 inground. I'll start off with about 150 pounds, and then work up from there. Does it help or hinder algae growth in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by Prov35
    I think I'll give this a try myself. I have a 20x40 inground. I'll start off with about 150 pounds, and then work up from there. Does it help or hinder algae growth in any way?
    I've never seen anyone state salt helped with algae, just better water feel.

I don't know how big your pool is. Just keep in mind it's easy to add a bit more a few days from now than to get rid of it. I guess in IL you get some snow once is a while ... just in case you buy too much.

Hmmm... this is very tempting. Have to price out the salt today at Lowe's.
    Outside of Philadelphia, PA
    18' x 40' IG - 22K gallons
    Sylvan Gunite Pool (1979)
    Plaster re-done (1997)
    48 Sq Ft Hayward D.E. Filter (2003)
    1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump (2006)

+ Reply to Thread