+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When to change sand in filter

Question When to change sand in filter

We live in Canada and only have pool open for the months of June, July, August and Sept. This will be our 3rd summer for our AG 27' pool. When should we change the sand in the filter? Are there signs to watch for? Is it expensive?
    Going to open the pool next weekend and I was wondering if I should change the sand first?
    Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Mary

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: When to change sand in filter

The only reason to ever change your sand is if something goes wrong--like it gets gummed up converting to chlorine from bacquacil, or it gets gummed up and won't allow water to pass through it, or it gets seriously infested with algae.

Otherwise, you shouldn't need to change your sand. My sand is 4 years old, Poconos's is 9 years old.
    Carl

Well that is GREAT news! Thanks for the reply!

I had to remove the sand in my filter so I could move it (boring story), I think the filter and sand are about 10 years old. While I was removing it I noticed a lot of debris in the sand, mostly small pebbles. I am pretty sure they came from the pool because I find them in the small basket just before the pump when I vacuum. Should I consider replacing? I was considering it anyway because when I vacuum my pool I end up with a cloudy pool because fine dirt comes out the return. The sand itself looks like beach sand, its not gunked up or anything.

Edit: I just noticed this thread is in the above ground forum, maybe they work the same?

Yes, if the sand it 10 years old and it's already out of the tank you should replace it. Also clean off and inspect your laterals (fingers) at the bottom of the filter. Although you maybe able to go several years without chaning sand it's best to change it every 2-3 years for best performance.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by JoshU
    Yes, if the sand it 10 years old and it's already out of the tank you should replace it. Also clean off and inspect your laterals (fingers) at the bottom of the filter. Although you maybe able to go several years without chaning sand it's best to change it every 2-3 years for best performance.
    I'm sorry, but I MUST disagree with the last part. As the sand gets older and dirtier, it actually filters better--the size of particles it catches gets smaller--a good thing. There is no reason to just change your sand every 2-3 years. I'm on year 4, Poconos (another moderator) is on year 9 with the same sand. Filtering just gets better each year.

I DO agree that once you empty the sand from the filter you should replace it with new sand. Filter sand is too cheap to save money there. Even when they charge $12 for 50# bags (a highish price) it's not a lot to pay to change it.
    Carl

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Jason,
    You mentioned it looks like beach sand. If any doubt it isn't filter sand, this is one of the few reasons to change it.
    Al

Like an idiot, I used to change the sand every year. My yard now looks like I have been trying to construct a small beach next to my pool. Oh well. . . I then posted a thread similar to the original one here, and heard from all sorts of people to the effect that, indeed, leave the stuff alone! Live and learn.

geordie is offline ** No working email address ** geordie 0

HOW much for a bag of sand? I just bought a 50lb bag for $6.99 and was irritated because the last time I bought it was $5.

We bring our filter into the garage every winter (gets pretty ugly here) and a couple of years ago I had to replace the lateral, so I've had one complete sand replacment, and we do a little topping off every year because of the sand we lose when we move the filter. This bag will cover my sand use for next spring too (barring another lateral disaster).

Yeah, sometimes the stores up here gouge on filter sand. I just got 4 50# bags for $5/per. (I use it for all the sand bag needs--I ALWAYS have filter sand at the ready!)
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread