+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AG Automatic Vacuum

Default AG Automatic Vacuum

I don't know if this is the right place for this post, so move if it isn't.

We have a 24ft AG pool and the pool dearl "threw in" the Aquabug vacuum. We used it last year and it was sufficient, but clogged easily with leaves. It didn't always get the whole pool bottom and I had to lead it to certain areas.

I have 2 daughters under 3, so spending a lot of time vacuuming is difficult.

We are researching new vacuums, but am confused between the difference in a suction and pressure side. We don't want to spend a lot of money, but would like for it to have its own leaf bag.

What are your thoughts?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: AG Automatic Vacuum

Suction side cleaners work by sending what is vacumned to your filter. They don't have their own collection bags. They either hook up to the skimmer or to a dedicated suction line. You can buy a 'leaf trap' that hooks inline with the cleaner and will help collect the big debris before it hits your filter system. There are different models available from several manufacturers for above ground pools. Some of them work very well.

Pressure side cleaners usually require a separate booster pump and pressure return to the pool (some are designed to hook into a return on the pool and use the pool pump only) but have their own collection bag.

The only pressure side cleaner I know of for above ground pools is the Polairis 65. It connects to the return and does not need a booster pump. I have no idea how well it works. There might be others from other companies but I have not seen them.

Robotic cleaners can be used in above ground pools and have their own collection bags. Dolphin has several models available. Their biggest drawback is the price but from the posts on this forum user satisfaction is very high!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

prh129 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver prh129 0

Hayward has a leaf trap for the Aquabug cleaner - I looked quickly online and it looks like it sells for about $50. You might be able to find one on ebay cheaper.

prh129 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver prh129 0

Actually, now that I think about it, if the leaves get clogged in the throat of the "bug" then the leaf trap isn't going to help out at all since the trap would be one hose length away.

Yeah I thought about that canister, but the more I think the leaves do get clogged in the bug and the screen on the outside.

Any thoughts on the ones that advertise - only one moving part: like the Dirst Devil or Kreepy Krawly EZ vac? Maybe one of those with the leaf canister?

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

We have used a Sta-Rite Lil Shark for our 18' AG for 3 yrs so far and it works pretty well but a leaf canister inline would make it work a lot better. It will pick up a lot without slowing down, unless its something really big (sticks, etc) We usually use the skimmer net to dip out the bigger stuff first anyway. This year will use it on the new 18x33 and have no doubts it will work just as well - leaf canister is next to be ordered.

I did see a Polaris 65 for under $200 somewhere online within the last week, that may be a consideration at some point.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

I have the ez vac and it doesn't get clogged on anything unless it's too big (big leaf or stick). It does a good job but tends to get stuck around the ladder. It cleans about 85% of the floor with the other 15% getting clean by my guidence.

It is affected by the pool's currents and I can't have my return circulate the water the way it normally does.

I haven't used a leaf canister along with it as I just open the strainer in the pump and take that out after vacuuming.

I've used it for 4 years now and not knowing anything else I would say it's worth it, I would think any AG cleaner would get stuck around the ladder.

In The Swim has the Polaris 65 for $199. I don't know much about it, but I like the looks of it.

I just bought the Polaris 65 for our AG pool and so far I'm amazed with the cleaning. Quick release gets stuck some, but it has done great so far. Bought mine at National Pool Supply for $199 with $8 shipping.

+ Reply to Thread