Closed Thread

Thread: Muriatic acid storage

mohawk is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst mohawk 0

Default Muriatic acid storage

Does anyone know if muriatic acid will freeze? The packaging doesn't say anything about storing in cold weather. I have it stored out in the garage and the weather so far can be below 0 to 50 above. Is there another place where I should put it? Thanks for your answers.

Sumo1 is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher Sumo1 0

Default Re: Muriatic acid storage

see the last post in a thread titled "re: cheapest source for muriatic acid?"
    20x40 IG gunite free form, approx. 27K gal, 60sq DE filter, Jandy Stealth 2hp 2speed pump, Polaris 380, SWCG

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

In case you have trouble finding the post Sumo1 refers to (it's easy to find using "Search"), here's the main point from this post:

"The freezing point of Muriatic Acid (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid) is -46C (-50.8F) (for Hasa; other brands quote even lower freezing points) so unless you live in the Artic, I think you are safe to leave your Muriatic Acid outside."

Richard
    Last edited by chem geek; 12-10-2006 at 02:15 AM.

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

Just don't store it near anything metal. Even with the lid on a get corrosion on metal stored within 5 feet of muriatic acid.

mohawk is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst mohawk 0

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to move it to another area in the garage since now it sits a few feet away from my car. Denise

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
    Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to move it to another area in the garage since now it sits a few feet away from my car. Denise
    The issue with storing acid near metal is if the container is not air tight since the hydrochloric acid fumes are indeed very very corrosive. It's more of a "just in case" rule just in case the cap is not securely tightened or if the container is not otherwise air-tight. I have mine stored in my pool shed (which is ventilated), but I tightened the cap quite strongly and did an extensive "sniff-test" around the cap and the bottle and also took a moistened (with distilled water) pH test strip and left it near the bottle and found no change in pH. Of course, that probably just shows what a geek I am rather than proving that much about safely storing Muriatic Acid!

Richard

Closed Thread