+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: help needed with changing sand in filter

Question help needed with changing sand in filter

I am just now completing the conversion from Baquacil to chlorine (it's going quite well, too!) and I understand that I will need to change the sand in my filter (Hayward pro series, model no. S244S, 300lbs sand) when the process is complete. This is our 3rd season with the inground pool and I have yet to change the sand so I really don't know what to do other than just scoop it out. Any advice would be welcome! Thanks in advance!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: help needed with changing sand in filter

That's about it.

Just remember to be careful around the lateral pipes. They should fold up so you can get them out. I would then clean them carefully, and inspect them for damage.

Once they are out you should be able to just tip the casing over and dump the rest of the sand out.
    Carl

I used a big shop vac to remove about half the sand then moved the filter to an area I wanted a little fill sand and washed the rest out with a hose.

Scooping, vaccuming, or washing... they all get the job done.

Edit: the laterals might unscrew instead of folding up on that filter.

I struggled with it the last time too. I was wondering about a shop vac. I rolled the filter container around on the ground and made a total mess the last time I did it. The shop vac would be easier, if it would work, I think it would, then you could shovel it out of there if you had to. And then comes the issue of what to do with it. I am always putting dirt in my garbage cans and the can gets heavy, I am sure the garbage man hates me.

Using a shop vac worked ok. I pulled the filter so it would not get clogged with wet sand. Then I would remove 30-40 lbs of sand then put the shop vac in a wheelbarrow and move it to where I wanted the sand.

thanks, everyone! I guess I was hoping there would be an "easy" button for this!

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Talking Re: help needed with changing sand in filter

Quote Originally Posted by chemstick
    thanks, everyone! I guess I was hoping there would be an "easy" button for this!
    Chemstick, welcome to the forum, the shop-vac is the easy button. If you have one, remove the filters and start vac-ing. If you're doing this by yourself keep an eye on the weight of the cannister, no need to herniate yourself . When it's empty, check the latterals for cracks and breaks, replace as necessary.
    I would strongly advise to get 50 lbs of 'pea gravel' for around the latterals (get 50 lbs pea gravel and 250 lbs filter sand), it helps the filter in a few ways and doesn't hurt anything. When you go to refill the filter, make sure the laterals are correctly positioned, cover the pipe so that nothing goes down it. Fill the tank 1/2 way with water and add the gravel, then start dumping the sand. Top off the tank with water and 'smooth out' the sand. Put on the lid and backwash for 1 minute. ... TA-DA, you're set for another 10 years or so!! Good luck with the project, if you need any more help -- just ask!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

I always do it with the tank empty, having water in there would help for the initial settling in of the sand though, I like that idea. This forum is great!

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

That's the recommended way
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Success! I even added an empy bacquacil bottle as the scoop! Probably the best use I have EVER gotten from baq!

Seriously, we used a combination of scooping and shop-vac and it was easier than I thought (tedious, but not difficult).

Thanks again for the support and the information!

+ Reply to Thread