+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New to the Forum

You can send the pics to poolforum@gmail.com; include the thread #23086

Thanks.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Ben is absolutely right. 18" of water is not deep enough to safely add the acid directly to the pool. Diluting it first in a better controlled environment makes sense. Sheepishly, I didn't post that here - telling myself that we were already pretty far off topic.
    I will still stand by A->W (unless it's already quite dilute). FWIW I've seen a drop of water dance on a volume of HCL and I've seen it explode splashing HCL all around.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Perhaps the Acid -> Water posts could be moved into a new thread (China Shop?). I fear I've hijacked this thread, haven't seen the OP in a couple pages.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

After 3 doses of bleach, the algae appears to be gone, however the pool is still very cloudy. I picked up another batch of bleach, hopefully after a few more applications the pool will clear up so I can start adding water.

I sent two emails to poolforum@gmail.com, the first email has before and after pictures for the first night. The second email has a picture taken moments before the third dose was added.

Also, I received the K-2006, test results are as follows:
    FC - .5 ppm
    CC - 1.5 ppm
    pH < 7.0 (6 drops to reach 7.0 on base demand test)
    TA - 0 ppm
    CH - 30 ppm
    CYA - 0 ppm (the black dot never disappeared)

Thanks again for all of your assistance and patience
    20K gal 30ft AG pool; PF=6

Now we have an additional problem to report...

I noticed a wet spot near the pool this morning, and measured the water level this evening. We had some light rain today, so I don't know an exact amount, however I do know the pool lost somewhere around 2.5 - 3 inches of water in the last 24 hours. My gut tells me that I managed to rip the liner while brushing the algae, however the water is too cloudy to see anything to verify. My calculations say I have lost around 1200 gallons.

Does this sound like a possible (or probable) fix?

I hate to keep throwing chemicals in the pool if the end result is a new liner anyways....

You might want to keep chucking bleach in in the evening, to avoid having it go green again. It DOES sound like it's the liner, but you might be able to patch it.

Wait 24 hours and see if you lose another 2+"

Thank you PoolDoc.

I just put another 4 gallons of bleach in, hoping that sooner or later the water will clear up so I can inspect for tears in the liner. Will report the water level tomorrow evening.

I can finally see the bottom of the pool, and am adding water so I can siphon vacuum out the dead algae. I also can see a small tear in the bottom seam where the wall transitions to the floor. The tear is in the area I would have expected, given the damp ground next to the pool.

Do you have any recommendations on which patch kit to use? I have noticed two main types; one with the adhesive already on the patch, and one with cement separate from the patch. I was curious if one would provide longer lasting results over the other.

Also, I currently have 0 CYA in the water, and would like to avoid getting the CYA levels too high. If I use a floater with tricolor tabs, I will constantly be adding CYA. Is the best way to avoid this simply increasing the CYA with store bought stabilizer, then testing and adding bleach as needed? I do not have a SWCG, so would I need to add bleach on a daily basis?

You probably want to check out this thread:
    http://pool9.net/liner-patch/
    There are photos, links to the patch kits on Amazon, and to a leak-test video.

+ Reply to Thread