+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pressure just builds......

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Smile Re: Pressure just builds......

AJ, here might be the problem, Hayward makes some of the best equiptment out there, unfortunately they don't know how to use it. To backwash your unit correctly:
    (Obviously, turn off the pump when changing multiport positions)
    Put the multiport on backwash, and watch the sightglass for ~clear.
    Rinse the filter till it is ~clear.
    Repeat until the 'backwash' cycle is ~clear and rinse again. (~3-5 cycles)
    Put it on filter for ~ 1 min. and do another backwash/ rinse cycle.
    At this point, you've gotten ~80% of the de out, so only add 80% back in, in your case, it's a little under 4#.
    Having way too much, or too little, de in the filter can cause the problem you are experiencing and hurt the unit. Try this a couple of times before you replace the grids.
    Good luck in your new home - don't forget to spray-paint 'www.poolsolutions.com' on the livingroom wall, so the new owners know how to take care of the pool -Good luck where you are moving! , if it has a pool stay with this site. Again, Good luck!!
    Last edited by waste; 06-13-2006 at 07:03 PM.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

ajwray is offline ** No working email address ** ajwray 0

Default Re: Pressure just builds......

Thanks again! I already advised the new owners on the website. I have lurked around here for a long time but never needed to post until now. I'm usually the one giving advice to friends on how to keep their pools clear based upon the info you and others give on the site.

No pool for now at the new house but I'm going to work on my wife on that one.

Thanks!

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajwray

**I haven't been using the whole 4.5 yet as it was stopping flow. I have been using about half of that does before the pressure builds.
    Insufficient DE can cause quick clogging of filters. This is because the grids themselves are doing the filtering because they aren't coated.

Thanks John, I just did the backwash thing today that WASTE suggested (2x) and added the 4.5 X 80% lbs of DE. We shall see.

Your help is appreciated.

AJ
    Last edited by ajwray; 06-13-2006 at 09:00 PM.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

AJ, my appologies for my typo last night, I meant to suggest adding ~3.75 lbs of earth to the filter. It seems to me that you have a couple of lbs of de stuck in the filter, that backwashing can't remove. The best way to correct this would be to take apart the filter, and clean the grids with a garden hose. However, as you will be moving soon and have already invested too much time and money into the pool, let the new owners deal with it, but let them know of the possible problem (I was going to suggest a white lie for you to tell them, but doing so would be unethical). Glad that the problem has resolved, though
    i can see it comming back until the old de is completely removed and the method I advocated earlier is regularly used. Again, sorry for the typo
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Thumbs up Re: Pressure just builds......

Waste.....thanks. I re-calculated the DE at 80% like you said and put just under 4 lbs in versus what you wrote. I backwashed like you said and voila, 12 hours (hope no jinx) and it's still staying at the baseline pressure.

Thanks Waste !!!!

I don't have a grid system Hayward filter but I do have a DE filter. Is the backwash method about the same? I have a Hayward EC-50A filter.

Thank you.

Jobeck1, welcome to the forum. Here's a link to my advice on how to clean the 'bump' syle filters http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=1671
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    AJ, here might be the problem, Hayward makes some of the best equiptment out there, unfortunately they don't know how to use it. To backwash your unit correctly:
    (Obviously, turn off the pump when changing multiport positions)
    Put the multiport on backwash, and watch the sightglass for ~clear.
    Rinse the filter till it is ~clear.
    Repeat until the 'backwash' cycle is ~clear and rinse again. (~3-5 cycles)
    Put it on filter for ~ 1 min. and do another backwash/ rinse cycle.
    At this point, you've gotten ~80% of the de out, so only add 80% back in, in your case, it's a little under 4#.
    Having way too much, or too little, de in the filter can cause the problem you are experiencing and hurt the unit. Try this a couple of times before you replace the grids.

I'm having the same problem (pressure building quickly w/ DE filter) have a few questions.

First, should I bother with the backwash process you describe or just proceed with cleaning the grids now, and use that process in the future?

Second, and more of a newbie question, I have 2 valves I turn when I backwash. The first is a "turn and pull" type valve in front of the filter (is this the multiport?) and the second is an in-line "bypass valve" between the filter and the separation tank. In your instructions, you mention the normal backwash instructions (3-5 cycles until clear), but then you say "put it on filter for 1 min." Does that mean to close both the bypass valve and the multiport valve just as you would when you finish backwashing?

Thanks in advance

Smile Re: Pressure just builds......

Cmcq, first let me say congrats on comming here to keep money grubbing pool guys (like myself ) out of your wallet!
    I have very limited experience with your type of valve (it's not a multiport in the sense I was describing, I've always heard of them as 'push/pull' valves), however the process should still work - the idea is to run the water flow backwards through the filter to 'kick the crud off the grids' and out onto the lawn. I can't quite picture your set-up, but yes, before the final 'backwash' turn whichever valves you need to back to 'normal' filtering for ~ a minute.
    You might want to consider starting your own thread on this topic as there are probably others here with more experience than I for your type valve and they may be able to give you better advice. However you handle it, know that I'll always make myself available to help you - Waste
    Luv & Luk, Ted

+ Reply to Thread