+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Salt in non-SWG pool result observations

Thumbs up Salt in non-SWG pool result observations

After reading several post here about the merits of salt in a non SWG pool I decided to take the plunge and add salt to my pool this last week end. Here is my observations.
    Saturday 1 pm
    Had to go to the pool store to pick up a transformer for my pool light and seen they had SWG on sale so got to salesman talking to me about salt in the pool as ask if salt would void my warranty. He answered that would not.
    Saturday 4 pm
    Added 3 bags to the pool with a starting point of around 140 to 150 ppm. Kids had fun mixing the salt in the pool. Worth adding the salt just to see them have fun. Got out of the pool to do a few things around house.
    Saturday 6 pm
    Got back in pool and could notice a little change so dumped in bag number 4. I know I should have waited a longer but the kids were having fun and so was I. The water saline interface at the bottom of the pool looked wicked.
    Sunday 11 am
    Dawn (future wife) got in to pool first time post salt and said she could tell a difference. “Makes my legs feel like they have just been rubbed down with lotion” and sticks her leg out of the pool. I rub her leg and think nice very nice it does feel better.
    Sunday noon
    I get done setting up the smoker for chicken, changing the skimmer sock, adding de to the sand filter, and jump in. I can tell the water is a bit kinder and less harsh to the eyes. Now the ultimate test for me underwater back flip you know the kind you get water up the nose. Well I come up and the nose is not burning as bad. I get a taste of the water no salt taste as of yet. I look at Dawn and she gives me the eye and says for me to throw the last bag in. The oldest hauls the last 40 pound bag out and rip cut it is in.
    Sunday 2 pm
    Get out of the pool to start the chicken smoking (where do you light a chicken?)
    Sunday 4 pm
    Back in pool chicken smoldering away. Under water flip nose test again little burning and snorting. Eyes open under water with not little or no burning. Pool feels great but I can taste the salt now. Swim until the chicken clucks its done supper time.
    Sunday 9 pm
    Put the pool to bed with the chemistry check and temp check.
    Monday 8 am
    Woke and went to do the pool. Chemistry is good the temp is 85. Temp if 85? I put it to bed with a temp of 83 last night. I usually have a 4 to 5 drop in temp overnight.
    Monday 10 pm
    Swam all day and had fun. Checked the temp 88.
    Tuesday 9 am
    Temp of 85. Higher density may be helping with heat retention??

Would I do it again? Yes love the feel on the skin and hair as well a less burning of the nose and eyes. I think the pool may hold heat better but still have to prove that one.
    Dawn is going to go by the pool store this morning and get the final salt level. Dawn is very happy with the result and for $25 worth of salt why not?
    Salty Steve

Default Re: Salt in non-SWG pool result observations

So you ended up with 200# of salt? By the bleach calc, that would be a level of around 1777ppm.

Curious about the heat retention...that would be a negative for me at this point in the season. We've just been through a heat wave and my pool was at 87 yesterday. Not so refreshing.

I swam in my neighbors SWG pool for the first time and the water felt good. There is a slightly different taste to the water but if I wasn't looking for salt I don't think I would have tasted anything different. I'm sold.

Cautionary note: Over a 20 year period, salt in the pool may show diminishing returns with regard to wife's (former fiancee's) skin softness and willingness to have it rubbed.

Cautionary note: Over a 20 year period, salt in the pool may show diminishing returns with regard to wife's (former fiancee's) skin softness and willingness to have it rubbed.
    I hope so. God has crule humor. Man hits his prime early 20s and a woman doesnt care. Woman hits her prime in mid 30s, mans so worn out from trying at that point and he doesnt care.

I can feel a mod slap for that one
    Steve

Steve,
    I'm interested in your observations as time goes by... any corrosion, salt residue, large increase in sodium due to adding bleach, etc.
    Keep us posted on whether you continue to like your pseudo-saltwater pool!
    ~Grace

Avid reader of this forum
    but alas, no pool... yet!

Grace I will try to do a weekly or so update with chemistry and impressions.
    Dawn brought back the results from the pool store I won’t post the regular chemistry from there because I know it is a load of manure. I am surprised they only tried to sell her muratic acid.
    Salt 2200
    Chemistry from me.
    FC 4
    TC 4
    pH 7.7
    ALK 160
    CH 320
    CYA 30
    I overshot my goal of 2000 by a little bit but that is ok.
    Steve

MedVampire - I am really tempted to go salty with my non-SWG 24K gall IG vinyl. I don't have a salt test with my kit. What kind of salt did you buy? And from where? Thx -
    18x42 Spartan Roman End Vinyl Inground (1981)
    1HP Hayward Superpump -- Hayward Perflex EC-65 DE Filter

Hi Steve,

Your at 2,200 now...how much difference did you find going over the 1,000 area?

thanks,
    dan

Kristen
    I picked up my salt at Lowes. Diamond Crystal Solar salt was around $4.50 a bag. I took a water sample to the pool store before and after due to I dont have a salt testing kit as well. See pool stores are good for some thing. ** No offence water bear you are an exception to that statement. **

Dan
    I noticed little difference in feel but I didn’t really give it long enough between bag 3 and bag 4. I did notice a difference from Saturday to Sunday when I dumped in bag no 5. The feel of Dawn’s hair and skin did feel a little softer and slick. I did notice a difference in taste as well.
    If you don’t like the taste of salt I wouldn’t go over 1000 too far. It doesn’t bother me but I try not to drink too much pool water.

Steve
    Last edited by medvampire; 07-20-2006 at 01:38 AM.

+ Reply to Thread