+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New pool owner, need help getting water right

Default New pool owner, need help getting water right

This is the first time I have had a pool. We have just put up a pool filled it from the hose about 2 weeks ago. Brought water to our local pool store. Added what they told me to add to get the PH, TA, CH, CYA & algicide where they said it should be. They talked me into the Susatin pool chemical so right now that is what I am using. Since then I have been reading pool forums like crazy. I added the shock tablets last night. I received my TF-100 test kit today & these are my first readings this morning.
    FC 19
    CC 4.5
    PH 7.6
    TA 130
    CH 200
    CYA 20
    Tested Chlorine again 4 hours later:
    FC 15
    CC 6

I also went to my local pool store their computer is saying
    TC 7.8
    FC 7.8
    PH 7.8
    TA 175
    CH 250
    CYA 40

After reading through websites it seems like the BBB method is the way to go but since I have already bought the Sustain system I want to finish them before I switch since I just don't have the money to through out. Any advice would be great. Also, where should me chlorine levels be & how high is to high to swim? Pool store says its OK to swim. I am just confused.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New pool owner, need help getting water right

The TF-100 is a nearly exact copy of the PS234 I developed, and as such, is much more accurate than the computer testing.

To answer your questions:

1. Your chlorine levels are not unsafe for swimming, but they were unsafe for swimSUITS. (High chlorine + low CYA will kill swimwear quickly; high chlorine + high CYA does not usually).

One quick rule of thumb: swimwear at both the extreme low end, and at the high end (> $100), is not very chlorine resistant at all. Low end suits (<$30) can be worn at the beach or in un-chlorinated water; high end suits are really just made for show, not swimming. Of course, in the in-between range, some suits are very sensitive and some are not.

2. BUT, with the low CYA, chlorine levels will drop rapidly in full sun.

3. Or not. Sustain literature reports that their "Sustain Summer Shield Chlorine" produces residuals that test as "combined chlorine" but aren't. My guess is that they ARE combined chlorine, but not the common ones. Having to investigate this -- the Sustain program may be using old-tech: sulfamic acid as a sun shield, and chloro-sulfamic acid compounds as 'chlorine reserve' and algae inhibitors.

Here's what PPG has to say:
    http://www.ppg.com/chemicals/askjoep...s/080_oto.aspx

You might want to look and see if this patent number is on the bottle:
    http://www.google.com/patents/US6471974

I'll have to get back to you on that.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Just found this:
    "Sustain Summer Shield Chlorine Extender is the brains of the Sustain System. It's not only smart, but unique to PPG, protected by a U. S. Patent."
    http://www.ppg.com/chemicals/askjoep...60_summer.aspx

If you can find the patent number, I can tell you for sure what's going on, and how to manage your pool.

Wow thank you so much for the information & the research you are doing! On the bottom of the 3" tab container & the energizer tablet container it says Pat# 4,732,288 & Other Pat Pending 4,967,926. I don't see anything on the summer sheild I don't see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by amber View Post
    On the bottom of the 3" tab container & the energizer tablet container it says Pat# 4,732,288 & Other Pat Pending 4,967,926.
    Wow! PPG claims their "Sustain Summer Shield Chlorine Extender is the brains of the Sustain System. It's not only smart, but unique to PPG, protected by a U. S. Patent."

But here are the patent numbers you provided:
    http://www.google.com/patents/US4732288 : "Child-resistant molded plastic container lid for open head containers"
    http://www.google.com/patents/US4967926 : "Child-resistant molded plastic container lid for open head containers"

No patents for chemistry. How bogus!

If you could, do this:
    1. Check the Shield container, again, just to be 100% there is no patent listed.
    2. If not, call the customer service number on the container, if any, and ask them. OR use this contact form: http://www.ppg.com/chemicals/askjoep...contactus.aspx

Say something like this, "I use the Sustain system, but it's kind of expensive, and I'm being told that it's probably a bogus system, and not worth the money. They said the patent numbers listed were for the CONTAINERS, and not the chemicals, and that you may not really have patented chemicals. Can you tell me what the Sustain patent number is?"

That will freak them out, and is much more likely to get a response, then if I ask.

The only number I see on the summer sheild is L289A-200B. The sheild energizer 3/4" tabs has a few numbers EPA Reg No 748-286, EPA Est. No. 58401-IL-1, PPG Product# 98994, LP20TSUS-0911E, ESL051811 REV093011 & the 3" cholorinating tabs EPA Reg No 748-275, EPS Est no 58401-IL-1 PPG Product No 38784, LP16TSUS-0911C, ESL051911 REV 093011.
    I also sent them an email asking for the patent numbers. Thank you again for your help!

They emailed me the MSDS sheets. Can you tell me how to post an attachment? I do not have a button that says manage attachments.

email them to me. poolforum@gmail.com

Were the MSDS sheets in response to your email requesting a patent number? If so, their patents are probably the expired ones Chem Geek found.

Yes, I will forward you the response I got.

+ Reply to Thread