+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hayward eyeball return connection- Long

EricF is offline ** No working email address ** EricF 0

Question Hayward eyeball return connection- Long

Sand filter, SWCG, 33k gallon rectangular 18 x40 inground gunite/plaster pool.

The water in the pool had been beautiful this spring, now this. Opened my pool after being covered for 4 days and discovered extremely cloudy water. Upon checking my SWCG, it turns out my flow sensor had malfunctioned, resulting in a chlorine level of zero. Just great.

I have slugged the pool with bleach, and now am at a FC level of 30, CC level of 1, vacuuming to waste, yada, yada.

Now, to finally come to my question. Last year, I bought a "Super Slime Bag" thinking I might use it to "polish" the water prior to parties. It is a fine mesh filter that can filter down to 1 micron to help remove very fine particles. (You can look it up at www.cleanerpools.net). My problem is connecting this to my 1 1/2 inch Hayward eyeball returns. It comes with a 1 1/2 inch male fitting, but when you remove the compression plate that holds the eyeball in place, it is a male threaded pipe that does NOT fit into a standard female pvc pipe. The supplied connector for the bag has a male thread.

I assume that the part protruding is actually part of the return that can be removed, but I am having a very hard time removing it.

Does anyone know of a female piece that would fit this connection, or do I just need to be more aggressive about removing this male connector? I just hope it wasn't glued in place!

EricF

EricF is offline ** No working email address ** EricF 0

Smile Re: Hayward eyeball return connection- Long

After some research, found the answer. It turns out the eyeball return has a male-male threaded piece that screws into the standard 1 1/2 inch pipe, but has a NONstandard thread that extends into the pool. (Why do they do things like this????) There is a special tool to remove this piece, that costs about 11 bucks. I have ordered the tool, and then should have a nice standard pipe to connect to.

EricF

+ Reply to Thread