+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I Want To Share How I Got Rid of Iron in My Summer Escapes Pool-Practically for Free

Default I Want To Share How I Got Rid of Iron in My Summer Escapes Pool-Practically for Free

First off, thank you to everyone that has made this site possible. I would have been pool stored for sure if it didn't exist. Thank you, thank you.
    A Summer Escapes pool is similar to an INTEX. The size is 16'X42'". It is approximately 3800 gallons. I can't say that this was my idea, but with an internet search, you can find the site that I got it from. Excessive Iron in Swimming Pool. (I hope this is okay mods, this is not a site that sells anything, but does have some what I think to be crazy things people were adding to thier pool to get the iron out).

What I did was shock, overchloronate (which I used Di-Chlor (orange bag) to start)), then went to regular bleach), my pool to get all the iron to oxidize. Then all I did was filter, brush, filter, brush, filter. I added to the filtering by attaching an old sock to the outtake filled with batting. Those paper cartridges don't seem to do a good enough job for iron, alot passes right through. I changed/rinsed the filter and added filter (with garden hose on full stream blast) every two hours on day one and two, changing to every four on day three. Boy, before rinsing everything was VERY ORANGE! Day four I had a sparkling clean pool. The pump was running all the while. All it takes it lots of patience and persistence (what doesn't with a pool?). I brushed the pool with a old soft-not straw- broom I had soaked in bleach prior to using.

Cost:
    Old Socks= 0.00 (who doesn't have some laying around, especially those with iron water)
    Batting= 0.00 (I had some already, you may have old pillow, or you can purchase at wally world for 8.00)
    Bleach= < 5.00 ( the Tri-Chlor I got at kmart, shock pack, and for the reg. bleach- I get mine at Aldi's here in Northern Ohio, 1.09 for 6%)
    Electric= < 7.00 (that is all my electric went up, may have been due to other things)

This is my third year with a pool similar to this and this is the first year I got it really clean....we just swam in orangish brownish water, lol. I had used a sequestering agent the first year, but that didn't work well for me since I had no vaccum and I couldn't keep it stirred up enough. It actually caused a lot of problems because I think it may have added to the iron problem- since I have terribly high ph and alkalinity- which I am now battling, but winning thanks again to this wonderful site.

Thank you, and I hope this may help someone in the future.
    Last edited by Bree1978; 07-19-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Said Excessing instead of Excessive. Then rememberd I used DiChlor

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: I Want To Share How I Got Rid of Iron in My Summer Escapes Pool-Practically for F

Thank you Watermom, I am happy to be here!

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: I Want To Share How I Got Rid of Iron in My Summer Escapes Pool-Practically for F

I love when people post on things that work, thanks
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

I know this was posted years ago, but I am glad I found it. We are dealing with this problem now and I'm going to try your method of shocking and adding something to filter at the out take. We'll see how it goes!

+ Reply to Thread