Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Steve's pool project 1-24-07

Default Re: Steve's pool project 1-24-07

quote" I did try to talk with you about giving me a quote. I left a voicemail and email but never got a response. "quote

Thanks for the opportunity, I'm sorry nobody within my organization got back with you. I hear this type of info all to often. It really makes me sick to hear it. When I bring it up in a sales meeting it's always "Oh, it was to far out of pocket from The Woodlands, or it wasn't a direct referral"
    All I can express is that I had to make a decision a long time ago as to what was more important. Working the job at hand, or running the sales lead at hand. I've always been a hands on guy and the decision came easily to me, give up on the marketing and let your hands run the leads.
    I've busted my chops over many years to build a company that builds a lot of pools every year without direct advertising. We build quite a lot of pools on both the direct referrals and indirect referrals like these pool forums generate.
    I won't say that I come to the forums expressly to generate sales leads because it isn't true. But I do generate leads due to my interaction with members like yourself and get very frustrated when I hear about stuff like this. your call should have been given equal importance as any other lead.

I'm glad that you signed with a good contractor, I know you'll be pleased.

See Ya,
    Kelly

skamp is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst skamp 0

Quote Originally Posted by huskyrider View Post
    quote" I did try to talk with you about giving me a quote. I left a voicemail and email but never got a response. "quote

Thanks for the opportunity, I'm sorry nobody within my organization got back with you. I hear this type of info all to often. It really makes me sick to hear it. When I bring it up in a sales meeting it's always "Oh, it was to far out of pocket from The Woodlands, or it wasn't a direct referral"
    All I can express is that I had to make a decision a long time ago as to what was more important. Working the job at hand, or running the sales lead at hand. I've always been a hands on guy and the decision came easily to me, give up on the marketing and let your hands run the leads.
    I've busted my chops over many years to build a company that builds a lot of pools every year without direct advertising. We build quite a lot of pools on both the direct referrals and indirect referrals like these pool forums generate.
    I won't say that I come to the forums expressly to generate sales leads because it isn't true. But I do generate leads due to my interaction with members like yourself and get very frustrated when I hear about stuff like this. your call should have been given equal importance as any other lead.

I'm glad that you signed with a good contractor, I know you'll be pleased.

See Ya,
    Kelly
    Kelly,
    I fully understand and sometimes things fall through the cracks. I really do appreciate all your knowledge and insight and looks forward to seeing your comments in the future! Thanks!

Steve

Here is a picture of my final design. I enlarged the tanning ledge and added bubblers. I also changed to 2 lights and some other stuff. I also signed the contract so hopefully they will start in a few weeks. I will post updates and pictures as they become available. Thanks!

Steve

The new pool design looks great.
    I didn't realize that screening the existing covered porch was something you were considering. The original design does not work at all with that in mind.

I'll give you a little insight to my thought on the new design.
    Have the builder drop your waterfall flanks to weeping rock level and let the one on the right slip in slightly below the level of the spa coping.
    I find that moss rocks placed over the top of a 12" raised spa like they have the drawing makes that particular rock and those adjacent to it look to top heavy.

just my .02

See ya,
    Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by huskyrider View Post
    The new pool design looks great.
    I didn't realize that screening the existing covered porch was something you were considering. The original design does not work at all with that in mind.

I'll give you a little insight to my thought on the new design.
    Have the builder drop your waterfall flanks to weeping rock level and let the one on the right slip in slightly below the level of the spa coping.
    I find that moss rocks placed over the top of a 12" raised spa like they have the drawing makes that particular rock and those adjacent to it look to top heavy.

just my .02

See ya,
    Kelly
    Kelly,
    It shows like that on the layout but what the plan was is to have the spa spillway dump water on that rock and not the other way around. At the right side it is already a low weeping wall and the spa is raised 12" so the spillway will be above the rock. The spillway is going to be 6' long starting from the weeping wall. I think the program my PB used did not layer the rock under the spillway correctly. Thanks!

Steve

26theone is offline ** No working email address ** 26theone 0

Has your PB talked about using multi speed pumps for you project? Just curious as all the PB's I talked to just quoted single speed pumps. I know the initial cost on a single speed pump is less but am wondering if I should go the multi speed route such as the pentair intelliflo pumps.

Currently I am planning to have a single pump to handle both the pool/spa circulation, a blower for the spa and a booster pump for the legend pool cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by 26theone View Post
    Has your PB talked about using multi speed pumps for you project? Just curious as all the PB's I talked to just quoted single speed pumps. I know the initial cost on a single speed pump is less but am wondering if I should go the multi speed route such as the pentair intelliflo pumps.

Currently I am planning to have a single pump to handle both the pool/spa circulation, a blower for the spa and a booster pump for the legend pool cleaner.
    No they never mentioned anything thing but sta-rite does make them in the pro series. I need to ask about it.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by skamp View Post
    Here is a picture of my final design. I enlarged the tanning ledge and added bubblers. I also changed to 2 lights and some other stuff. I also signed the contract so hopefully they will start in a few weeks. I will post updates and pictures as they become available. Thanks!

Steve
    Steve,

Addition of the bubblers, a great idea. I have one on my ledge. However, make sure the plumbers plumb those things with enough spacing to where they will not cause a disruption in water feature. What I mean is, one will tend to be dominant over the other if they are too close together. It has nothing to do with water flow out of the pipes but the ripples in the water they create. One will tend to distort the effect of the other. I looked at 3 different pools from several builders with this existing problem. That is why I decided on one bubbler over two. Hope that makes sense.

Based on your updated plan, have you considered moving one of the pool lights into the deep end? I think you and I think alike. I did not want to see the lights (mounted in the pool) from where I am sitting by the pool or from inside the house. However, with your aggregate finish, you are going to need as much light spread through that pool as possible. Your light will be very muted towards the back. Just my 2 cents worth. Again, the design looks great. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by divnkd101 View Post
    Steve,

Addition of the bubblers, a great idea. I have one on my ledge. However, make sure the plumbers plumb those things with enough spacing to where they will not cause a disruption in water feature. What I mean is, one will tend to be dominant over the other if they are too close together. It has nothing to do with water flow out of the pipes but the ripples in the water they create. One will tend to distort the effect of the other. I looked at 3 different pools from several builders with this existing problem. That is why I decided on one bubbler over two. Hope that makes sense.

Based on your updated plan, have you considered moving one of the pool lights into the deep end? I think you and I think alike. I did not want to see the lights (mounted in the pool) from where I am sitting by the pool or from inside the house. However, with your aggregate finish, you are going to need as much light spread through that pool as possible. Your light will be very muted towards the back. Just my 2 cents worth. Again, the design looks great. Keep us posted.
    I never even thought that the bubbles would cause a problem. The ledge is about 8' long so I would guess the spacing will be 3-4 feet. Do you think that is enough to prevent the issue you are talking about?

This is my first pool so I am not sure how well lights work but I did want to have light without seeing them and that why we moved them to where they are. It would seem like there should be plenty of light as one points right in the deep end and the other towards the shallow. If I move one to the deep end it seems like the lighting would be more uneven. Should I ask the builder to make them both 500 Watt lights instead of 300 and install a dimmer? Thanks!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by skamp View Post
    I never even thought that the bubbles would cause a problem. The ledge is about 8' long so I would guess the spacing will be 3-4 feet. Do you think that is enough to prevent the issue you are talking about?

This is my first pool so I am not sure how well lights work but I did want to have light without seeing them and that why we moved them to where they are. It would seem like there should be plenty of light as one points right in the deep end and the other towards the shallow. If I move one to the deep end it seems like the lighting would be more uneven. Should I ask the builder to make them both 500 Watt lights instead of 300 and install a dimmer? Thanks!
    Steve,
    This is where you put yourself in the trick bag. The bubblers I looked at were probably spaced 24-36 inches apart. Without taking away from the look you are going for, I would say the wider the better.

As for lights, I am probably not the one to ask that question. There are several individuals in this forum that can better answer that question. I will tell you that my PB talked me out of spacing my lights too close and I am glad he did. I truly like how the light is dispersed in mine. Obviously, your PB is going to do what you ask him to do but hopefully he is also willing to offer his opinion as well. My advice to you is to ask him to take a look at pools he has constructed (same aggregate finish, lights, etc.) and go look at them in the day and at night. That should help you in your decision making process. Good Luck.

Closed Thread