Hi Everyone,

I had a new 21K gallon gunite pool installed late last year. It was completed too late in the season to use and I had just enough time to close it before things started to freeze.

I read the old forum quite a bit and followed advice to raise the chlorine level prior to closing. I shot for about 15ppm. I read that Chlorine levels are generally maintained during the winter months but I did not find this to be the case. I pulled back the cover a couple of weeks ago and found no measurable chlorine.

I haven't opened the pool but my levels were all out of whack so I've been adding chemicals and using a submersible pump for circulation. This has worked pretty well (PH, Alk and hardness are all in check now) except for chrlorine. It's still chilly here in northern Delaware, but the chrloine is pretty much gone a few days after I add it. I've had it up to 10ppm a couple of times (using bleach) but a few days later it's gone. There were some leaves, etc, in the pool that I thought might be contributing to this so I removed them but this made no difference.

Any ideas why this might be happening? Is there some reason that I should try for a higher shock level? All I'm really trying to do right now is keep enough chlorine in there to prevent algae growth as things get warmer.

Thanks,
Lenny