Thread: "Free Pool"

Threaded View

Default "Free Pool"

My brother just took me to look at a pool that he can get for "free". It is a 24' round aluminum AG pool, it appears to be buried about 1 to 1.5 feet in the ground, and just from sighting around the top of the pool, it appears to be up and down out of level approximately 4" at random. Generally an extremely poor installation to say the least. The pump, and filter look very small for the pool, and the skimmer opening is probably a six inch square, seems small to me for such a large pool.

So here it is, it is my estimation that he would need a new liner for sure, and also that he would need a new pump and filter. With this said, is it really worth it to dig up the old pool and install it at his house? I feel that it would be better to get a new pool instead. What do you think?

Now it gets better... This house, a guy we go to church with bought it, has an indoor pool, inground, in addition to the outdoor AG pool. The guy who bought the house plans on filling in the indoor pool. The indoor pool is severely neglected, there is no liner in it, and it is bone dry, possibly for years. It was dark in the pump room, but I did see a filter, and a heater, I did not see a pump, but I was standing behind him looking over his shoulder as he lit the area with a lighter, so there may have been one. I would estimate this pool to be around 20x40 4' shallow, and 10' deep end. The equiptment for a pool this size would probably be extreme overkill for the 24' AG, and the expense of running it may make it not worth taking.

Personally, I would forget about it, everything is questionable, half of the stuff may not even work for all I know, and he wants my help with things.

Given the sad story above, what shall we do?

Thanks
    Steve

Edit, I forgot to meantion, the owner also took the liberty of starting to drain the pool through the bottom drain, without taking the winter cover off, so as the water went down, the winter cover went down with the water in it, and pulled the sides in a bit, when I saw that we decided to remove the cover and leave it in the pool for later removal/ dealing with.
    Does this compromise the integrity of the wall and top rail and other related structural elements, compounding the general vertical inconsitencies of the initial install?
    Last edited by sevver; 06-18-2006 at 02:21 PM.