We're on our second brand of solar panels - and now need to replace them. Would like some recommendations on brands that withstand harsh winters, or some pointers on winterizing them please.

We have an 18x34 AG pool - DE filter/ Northstar 3/4 hp high efficiency pump - have 2 4x20' panels on a roof of a small shed right by our pool, with a Pentair Compool Lx220 Controller plumbed into the system. We have one panel on each side of the roof - are sloped for drainage.

We refuse to swim in water under 82-84 degrees - we love high 80's or low 90's, so it's a must that we run solar panels, complimented with a solar blanket to keep the heat in.

The first set of panels we had were Saturn Solar panels by Midwest - my husband tried to blow them out good at the end of the season with an air compressor - but obviously didn't work as it was like a huge sprinkler system when we started them up the next year, too much damage to repair.

Next we replaced them with Sunheater panels by Smartpool. I love the panel part of these solar panels - flexible and very easy to repair any leaks. The problem was the end pipes cracked over the winter and had to be replaced. I luckily had one extra panel that came damaged that I got to keep after they sent me a replacement - so we robbed the end pipes off it and replaced them and had a great season of heating with them. Now again - the end pipes cracked over the winter - but I have no more replacements, and them company no longer makes them. The cracks are too big to repair - have tried numerous times. So - it's back to replacing them again! Or does anyone know where I can find some replacement ends or how to make some?? It's a shame to replace the whole panels when we just need new end tubes.

My husband does not swim and it's a real job to get him to help me with anything having to do with the pool - so our solar panels are quite a sore subject at home, and would like this to be the last time we have to replace them! We are considering a homemade solar panel - I purchased the instructions off ebay - it's like one big coil of polyethelene tubing, looks fairly easy to construct - but am worrying once again about winterizing them!!

I'd appreciate any recommendations and some advice on how you winterize yours efficiently so you avoid leaking come spring opening.

I just opened our pool yesterday - been cold and rained forever here in NE it seemed. I need to get right on this as we have relatives come every 4th to swim and want a warm pool! Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Donya