+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fiberglass, slight yellow whole pool stain/coating

Hybrid View

Default Re: fiberglass, slight yellow whole pool stain/coating

Thanks for your help. A couple more question...If I go ahead and purchase the Vitamin C, as so informed above, what Sequestrant should I purchase, how much, and from where? Thank god for smart people like all of you!!!!

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Any sequestering agent is fine - Jack's Magic, Sequasol, Metal Free, Metal Magic, they are all basically the same. Metal Free has no phosphates. You can follow the directions on the bottle. What kind of pool do you have, and how many gallons does it hold? I can tell you amounts with the information.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

I have a salt water, fiberglass, that holds 17,000 gallons. Any more help would be appreciated.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

You can use Jack's Magic the purple stuff is made especially for salt water pools. Otherwise you can do the ascorbic stain treatment as posted above, except I would turn the salt generator off until after the treatment is finished and the water is rebalanced. Feel free to ask any other questions you have
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

I'm the original poster here. I have a 17,000 gallon pool and used ascorbic acid to remove the yellowing. About 10 days later the yellowing is starting to re-appear. So, as asvised I purchases some Jack's magic and am waiting for it to come in. The question that I have now is...how much of Jack's Magic should I have purchased. when I contacted Jack's Magic website, this is their response, but I wanted to check here before I bought more. I have one on quart on the way.

Reply from Jack's Magic...
    "Jon you need to put 2qts of purple stuff in your pool.

Then you need to prevent them from coming back. You need to put 12 to 16
    oz a week to prevent them. If you would like you may buy a sequesting
    test kit for the correct amount of purple stuff you need weekly in your
    pool. it takes 3oz to raise your level 1ppm. If you have anymore
    questions I may answer for you feel free to call us Thanks

John Virga
    customer service
    (800)348-1656 EXT 111"

So, my question is, do you all agree with the response from Jack's Magic?

Thanks,
    Jon

I have never even heard of a sequestering test kit - but there are a lot of things I have never heard of I do know however, that Jack's Magic tends to use more product than is really needed. I would suggest buying some - and just watch for stains - when you see some forming, take your ph down to 7, and add 1/2 bottle. I don't do a matainence dose, I just watch - sometimes even just taking your ph down will lightnen the stains. You will get your own routine down after a while. I always keep some ascorbic acid on hand too - this way if the sequestering agent and low ph don't work on the stain, I add a little ascorbic right down the side where the stains are noticeable and let the water circulate - most of the time there isn't much chemistry change. Just make sure you keep your ph at 7 - 7.4 with a fiberglass pool - I find with my pool, when the ph gets above 7.6 I start to see stain. Hope this helps - I am sure Jack's Magic really knows about stains - and can get you to keep a stain free pool, but it does get to be expensive using all that "purple stuff", when it may not be needed.
    Northeast PA

Thanks Marie. One more question, is their a cheaper alternative to the purple stuff that I should consider?

+ Reply to Thread