Hi All !!

Just opened the pool today and was disappointed in several things. It looked great at first - water was pretty clear until I started the filter. The pool is a FG inground installed last July, so everything is pretty new. I learned a lot here on this forum last year about water chemistry and pool operations. I didn't think I'd have problems. But, here are the 2 major issues I have:

(1) The pump does not seem to be operating correctly. Last season, I could either run the skimmer or the main drain or both with the water flowing through the clear plastic viewer quiet and smoothly and the pressure guage reading 22. Plenty of suction. Today, when I run either the main drain OR skimmer, the water is not flowing smoothly (it doesn't quite fill up the plastic reservoir) and the pressure is only 15. This makes the suction not as strong as it could be. If I run both, the water runs better through the plastic viewer, but still not as smoothly as last season, and the pressure is 20. The filter is backwashed. Any suggestions on what could be the issue? I suspect I may have a clog somewhere? Attached to the pump and filter is a chrlorinator (I'm not using it) and a heat pump. I just can't figure out why the pump is not running smoothly. I usually just run the skimmer but can't b/c of mediocre suction - I'm afraid it will lose prime.

(2) The water appeared pretty clear until I ran the filter. Then, I got a foamy white layer just on the pool surface. The return jets are pushing the white mass towards the skimmer, but it's so thick on top, the thick stuff is not moving through the skimmer - the top layer is just sitting there. The skimmer is working as the water below the surface is passing through the weir and into the skimmer. The layer looks and feels like soap detergent. I suspect it must be something in the water the pool company added when they closed it. I plan on running my filter 24/7. I shocked the water and plan to add bleach, as necessary. Any any suggestions? Will this clear itself?

Here's some pool info:

IG FG 33x16
1.5HP Hayward Pump
Hayword Chlrorinator (not being used / BBB)

CH=1.5 upon opening. Much higher now since I added shock
PH=7.2
AL=5
CYA=55

Not sure I should adding anything just yet to address the low Alk.

Any advice for the pump and frothy stuff?

Thanks!!
Marc