...so why the polyquat if my pool has been perfectly clean and clear all season? I've got the Aquabug in the pool cleaning the bottom, my water is perfectly balanced with my pH a little on the high side (where I normally keep it) at 7.8 - 8.0. Chlorine usage has been normal, water has been crystal clear all summer long.

Is the polyquat treatment necessary? I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to my water and only add the bare minimum to keep the water balanced, and generally subscribe to the "if it works, don't fark with it" mindset.

Last year I had a leak in the pool and opened to a pool with about 4" of water, max. But the water was clean. We replaced the liner in the spring so I wasn't too worried about closing last year, we just shocked it, drained to below the return, and stuck the cover on. Didn't bother with the pump of filter as both were slated for replacement (and have been replaced).

This year, my plan was:

1). Vacuum the pool.
2). Shock with bleach and let recirculate for a couple hours
3). Drain to just below the return
4). Insert water pillow and cover
5). Disconnect pump, put pump and hoses inside
6). Drain filter, set to "close" and cover filter with tarp (and remove pressure gauge).

I live in North Alabama, we do get some freezing here, but never for extended periods of time. Usually just overnight, and temps most always go back above freezing during the day with very rare exceptions. In the ten years I've lived here, it has only stayed below freezing for more than 24 hours straight one time.

I'm open to suggestions, as the bug is in the pool now so if I'm going to make any changes to this procedure now is the time to do it.