Regarding PC installed pools, are gunite pools usually more expensive than the vinyl lined polymer walled pools in the southern U.S.? What about Fiberglass? I am under the impression that gunite and fiberglass are both more expensive than comparable size vinyl lined pools. I have not pursued a quote, because one local contractor told us that the gunite and fiberglass pools usually cost about 30% more. Currently, we are planning on paying about $26,000 for a 40 x 20 pool with about 28,000 gals capacity.
However, a co-worker is convinced that he just had a free form custom 20,000 gal gunite pool installed for about $7,000 less than he could have had a well made polymer walled vinyl pool installed. Blue Haven Pools quoted both pools for him, and convinced him that gunite is the least expensive. Granted gunite is impressive, but I tend to disagree with Blue Haven's assertion that gunite is less than vinyl. I am wondering if they told him that vinyl is more costly, because they specialize in gunite pools?
Nontheless, our friend is very satisfied with construction (completed) and he has a gorgeous pool. He doesn't have a lot of bells or whistles, and the pool is smaller than the vinyl we are considering. Moreover, it costs about 30% more than our vinyl quote. His pool really looks small-maybe due to the free form? On the other hand, our pool not only looks large, but will be large. Yet its just a standard grecian pool kit by Hydra. Not nearly as classy as the gunite. We are about ready to sign a contract on the vinyl pool, but can't help but wonder if we are making a mistake sacrificing superior "durability" and "class" for average "durabilty" and size? Although we could, we can't imagine paying 30% more for about 30% less swim area. The Hydra pool seems like it will meet our needs and be economical, as well. FYI we are within a 2 hour drive of Little Rock, AR, Shreveport, LA and Texarkana, TX.