so glad I found this forum!

Any my first post......

I just went through the same thing. Here is what I found -

BTW, we live in Hot Dallas, on Lake Ray Hubbard.

i have had a trailer ski boat before, and the main thing that kept me from using it was the trailer, and having to drive to the lake. So, this time, and having a "bit" more income than when I was in my 20's, I wanted a smaller cruiser. Was looking at a 24 searay at about $25K. I wanted it in a slip so all I had to do was untie and drive away - even go boating solo.

Pool was about the same for basic, or 10K+ with options. Boat cheaper? Lets see!

Boat:

Consider operating costs -

Slip - covered with electricity - $160/month
Insurance - $500/year
Bottom Job - ($1,000/ each 2 years?)
closed coolant system so no winterising needed.
Gas? $4.50/ gallon at marina X 65 gal tank @ 12-25 gph(depending on speed and what you are towing) - most marinas prohibit you from bring your own fuel
Taxes - second home - deductible interest - not very important, as I would not have much of a loan.....
Resale - Can be kind of a pain to sell a boat this size.
Any ammount of loan payment.

Pool:

31' x 18' (est) - 8.5'deep, waterfall and diving rock, beachwater entry with sun lounge and bubbler, no spa. larger deck area.

Loan - ~ 250/month
Elecctric - ~40/month
Chlorine - I will make my own!
Insurance - No change in premium.
Taxes - home improvement loan = deductible interest!
etc.......

Anyway - I think the per month cost of a pool is much less than the monthly for a boat the size I would want.....and I can use the pool anytime I want.

I agree, that the pool would not raise the property value that much, but here in the land of 105 degree summers, it would speed up the sale time. The tax office has told me they will add $10K to $15K for adding a pool.

Sooooo.....although the pool costs more up front, I think it is a better value in the long run.