I was speaking with someone at the local Ace Hardware pool department today who was very inpressed with my knowledge of pool chemsitry and equipement. (In fact he turned out to be the regional pool dept. coordinator and offered me a job! Might take him up on it since I work in education and am basically unemployed every summer!) I have to give credit to this forum for a good part of my knowledge.
Anyway, we were discussing water balance and he said that some research has been done by a company called WaterTeq Water Technolgies Inc. which showed that low calcium levels in vinyl pools could cause a leaching of the plasticizer out of the liner and shorten its life and that in fiberglass pools it leaches the cobalt out of the fiberglass. He gave me a printed handout of several pages and other than these statement it is all sound pool chemistry, no bs or double talk, and very straigtforward. I could find no listings for this company on the net to research this. I did ask what this company did and he said that they manufactured pool chemicals. I saw no chemicals of this brand at the store.
Does anyone on here know anything about this or know where I can look to research this further? I am now on a quest for the truth! It is plausable that this can happen given the reactivity of sodium and potassium ions (monovalant) in solution vs. calcium and magnesium ions (divalent).
anyone?