I have read many posts about shocking to kill algae and ben's best guess chart. I have tried to follow it but I can not get chlorine to stay in pool.
28k vinyl
FC 4(after using 17 Gals 8.25% bleach over past 2 days, plus 15 or more bags shock)
CYA 70
TA 100
ph 7.4
Goldline SWCG
All this year I have had to supplement with chlorine. Since I am a 12 year SWCG user, it is difficult for me to remember to add chlorine. Like I said, I have added 17 gals before today 9added 4 more today and 4 bags shock as well. Have not made new reading yet but so far, the highest I could get the reading was 12 and that did not last long. I saw new algae starting to grow at the base of the liner today even after the 17 gals of bleach. I am thinking that I have had an algae problem all year but was able to stay one step ahead of it and keep it from getting bad enough to see. Then I went out of town for a couple days and when I cam back it was growing everywhere although the water was not green, just cloudy. That is when I started adding the bleach, setting my goal at 20 ppm. Only I never can get there. The most I added at one time was six gals and a few bags of shock. Is my problem that I still have enough algae to destroy the chlorine I keep adding? Is it simply that I should have added enough to get to 20ppm all at once no matter how many it took? It is difficult to buy that many at once and scary to put that many in the pool at once. PS. for years, even when the water is clear and the pool looks good, I always have black or dark green algae in the grooves of the liner clips around the steps. Is this normal? I have to get a stiff bush mounted on an extension to get the stuff out of the clip grooves but it always comes back. Oh, yes and I have had to backwash de filter twice in past week. Today, I took it apart and cleaned it out really good, just in case any algae was hiding in there.
Update, after adding 4 more gals bleach today and 3 bags shock, I finally got the chlorine to read somewhere between 16 and 20. Hopefully I am on the right track now. How long do I need to keep it at this level?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated,
Brent