Hi all,
Been a while since I've been here, return to see the peril the place is in for the moment. Really hope it's temporary, this place is legendary, and I've pointed many a frustrated pool owner here. Ben, best wishes for your return...

To my point: Once again it's time to open the pool (details in my sig.). I've tried every way I know of here to avoid opening a green pool, save replacing all the water, and it always is green so that's ok. I have the task down to a science and it's clear in around a week and a half. But there's one part I really would like to improve.

I run a Hayward DE filter and there's no better way to filter pool water although when this one is finally retired I may try a sand filter with a cup of DE for the labor-saving. And that's what I'd like to fix especially right about now. The beauty of DE is a curse too when I have a large amount of particulate to remove. This requires at least a DE change PER DAY for a couple days at first. The first couple nights I accept that allowing it to run overnight will result in a clogged grid in the morning with the pump straining against this till I get to it. As well as when I go off to work.

A couple options I'm considering:

-Picking up a used cartridge filter to swap in during this time just so it's easier (and cheaper) to clean.

- Running the Hayward without any DE for a couple days accepting the fact that I'll have to open it up after things start to stabilize and thoroughly clean the grids (fingers) before a proper DE charge.

- Going ahead and springing for a new sand filter now (like the Hayward S244T) to replace my 15 year old EC65a.

Feedback and other ideas much welcome.
Thanks!

ChuckD