It's been quite a while since I posted. I've been enjoying summer and my recently resurfaced pool ;-) I've also followed BBB for water maintenance and what a delight it is: no algae whatsoever, and currently maybe a cup of 8.25% bleach a day or every two days keeps my Chlorine level in check! Only small pb is pH rises (I have no borates and am considering adding them) but baking soda + muriatic once a week and water is all balanced: fantastic!

I am coming today to seek advice re winter operation. I have a spa on the same piping circuit as the pool (it overflows into pool). I will keep using the spa all winter long so my VSP is running at 600 rpm constantly when air temp is near freezing. Water is yet to deep below 45F at the pump or the heater (that both show me the water temp when asked). Since there are pipes above ground at say 2 to 3 feet in the air, should I increase that rpm to a higher setting to avoid water freezing inside them or is the simple continuous but slow flow of water sufficient to prevent freezing inside them even at this low rpm? If 600rpm is not enough, is there a rule of thumb for how fast it should be?

Thank you!!!