Hi All,

Looking for ideas on cleaning up a light oil (mineral oil) sheen on my pool water surface. I have used ScumBalls with some success and I have oil-only Pig Mats on their way (i needed to order these for other household purposes as well). I've also run across suggestions of just blasting up the FC and/or using FirstAid Enzyme treatment.

So here's the list -

1. Stick with ScumBalls/PigMat
2. Get my water in SHaPE (Shock, Hold and Patiently Evaluate)
3. Use Enzymes (like FirstAid)

I'm also consider a tear down and clean out of my DE filter since no one's swimming anymore now that the water temp has dipped below 80F (bunch of whimps!!).

The sheen is not at all bad...just some patches of glossy spots on the surface that have become collectively sentient and are avoiding the skimmer at all costs.

My other concern is that I think the oil has pickup dust and particulates and/or is breaking down from free-radical halogenation (chlorine breaking down alkanes) and forming a black tar-like substance....again, it's not bad or widespread in any way, I just noticed it in my skimmer and it was easily wiped away with a Mr. Clean Magic Sponge (melamine sponge). It just makes my filter cleaning job seem more urgent...that is also why I'm entertaining enzymes as I'm wondering if that helps accelerate the oil breakdown.

Just looking for thoughts...THANKS!!