Hello. I have read the sticky thread on Closing AG Pools and am somewhat familiar with the "Best Guess Chart" but I still could use a little hand-holding in closing my pool.

I started out the season using the "Relax" system that the pool store recommended. It consists of adding some magic dust to the skimmer every week and placing some "pucks" in the skimmer every month or so. Although that system actually worked well at keeping the water clean, it is expensive and after reading on this forum, I moved away from that system and began using just bleach and Borax.

My CYA levels have been high since I started testing using the Taylor kit this year (over 100 ppm… I began using the Taylor at the same time I started using bleach and Borax). So today my levels are:

FC=1.5; CC=0; pH=7.3; TA=50; CH=30; CYA>100

I plan to use a winter cover. I am afraid to bring my chlorine up to the shock levels suggested in the Best Guess chart. Also, I have closed the pool for three seasons by just adding one or two 1-lb bags of shock and the water has always been clear when I opened. Since I wasn't really testing back then, I can't say what the chlorine levels really were.

Should I really increase Chlorine levels to around 25 ppm? Any other suggestions based on my levels?

Thank you all for your excellent support!