Hi everyone,
I'm new to this and could use some advice!
We got an 18ft Intex Easy Set pool this year. I know that these are not the greatest as far as filters go (I just have the standard that came with it) but I wanted to see how much use we got out of a pool before investing money in a permanent pool.
After being away for 2 weeks we came home Saturday and removed the solar cover. The water was guacamole green. We shocked it. The next day it was still green and I took the water to Leslie's to have it tested. He said the chlorine was too high to read and gave me no other advice except vacuum it, wait a day or 2 and bring it back. I vacuumed and when I did it turned a more solid green ( the particles seemed to delete into the water) The next day I took another sample back. He said everything was in line except my water was registering hard. I told him it was still green and he kind of shrugged and said the intex pools don't have great filters. I had read another thread and someone with an intex and a similar issue was told to shock it a few day in a row. I was surprised this guy didn't suggest to do that. So I went to Namco a half mile down the road and that woman said to put an algaecide in, wait a few hours and shock it again. Then if it didn't clear to repeat that process and add a clarifier. After the algaecide and shock it turned light blue but still cloudy, I can barely see the bottom. I never added the water hardener because the Namco woman said all hard water will do is make my skin feel a little dry. I don't have hard water in general so if that doesn't effect my cloudiness I'd just as soon return it to the store.
I've had the filter running non-stop and have rinsed and swapped it at least twice a day. I've added clarifier twice and it's not changed the fogginess. There doesn't seem to be any residue on the bottom of the pool.
I haven't brought the water back in to be tested since I re-shocked it (twice)
I'd love your advice on what I should do. The man at Leslie's said adding even a small amount of DE could ruin my pump.
Thanks in advance
Ellen