Hello all.
Last sunday we bought an above ground, frame pool. 18ft diameter. Installed fine, although we noticed there was a slight dip on one end, bought some slabs to even it up and when we filled it (2 days later) one leg had sank a little. There is about a 2" drop. I have been reassured (thanks google) that this should not pose a problem.

We bought a liquid water testing kit. (we have tropical fish and we only use liquid testers, so this made sense). Just a HTH liquid test from Walmart. We also bought a HTH start up and maintenance box too.

I added a chlorine tablet into the filter let it run a about 4 hours. Next day it read '0'.
Threw in 1lb of Shock powder, this raised the Chlorine a little and the pH. Next day tested again, Chlorine was back to '0', but the pH was a little higher. Our Alkaline wasn't registering so we went out and bought some HTH liquid to raise the alkaline, threw that in that evening along with a new chlorine tablet.
Next morning we tested and the alkaline was at 80ppm, pH was about 7.2, and FAC was at '0' again.

Went out today and bought some liquid chlorine. After the filter had been running I dumped 70 fl oz (as recommended) into the pool. We registered 8 FAC. We thought Eureka, the chlorine smell had gone now too.

2 hours later we are back to 0 FAC. We tested Ammonia levels and they are at 0.

At this point I am pretty stumped... your advice is greatly appreciated.