Hi, this is my first post. I'm considering getting an above ground pool. Right now, our family of three has a summer membership to a local pool club (seasonal, outdoors). The cost for the season of about 9-10 weeks is $875. One of the things I'm trying to figure out is if running a small above ground pool will cost less than $875 per year.

The biggest expense for installing a pool for us will be extending our fence and leveling the area where the pool would go. We would have a professional level the area, rather than trying to do it ourselves.

I only need a depth about 3 to 3 1/2 feet- enough to tread water and paddle around a little, and shallow enough so that my 8 y.o. daughter can stand up with her head above water. I'm thinking an 18 foot diameter would probably be more than enough for us.

Another thing I'm trying to figure out is whether one of those easy-set, inflate as you fill it type pools would work as long as we got the ground professionally leveled. A few years ago we got one of those, but since the ground wasn't level it folded over on itself and got all gross on the sides and we had to get rid of it. We really didn't know what we were doing, either.

My husband thinks if we're going to pay for extended fencing and professional ground leveling, we should get a better quality, sturdy pool that will be more permanent. He also thinks that maintaining any pool is going to be a lot of work. I'm not sure what qualifies as a lot of work. How much time does it take to maintain a small above ground pool?

Any input, advice is appreciated. Thanks.