Hello all

If this topic has been discussed anywhere else in the forums, please direct me to the thread. We opened our pool last weekend, a 21ft AG round. Mustard algae patches have already returned. My current readings are as follows...

TC >15
FC> 15
CYA 99 too high, I know
pH 7.4
ALK 127

We are hitting it with shock, NOT using any sticks or pucks with stabilizer in an attempt to bring that 99 down. The pool water itself is clear. We run the pump 24/7, brush daily...etc. Last summer I battled the beast with not very good results. I am convinced I am growing a resisitant strain.

When I had my water tested yesterday, an additional test was run for phosphates. It took a little while but I was told that I had a high phosphate level of about 800 ppb. It was explained to me that phosphates act as an algae fertilizer and this might be why I have a resistant and recurrent algae problem. Of course it was recommended I use a phosphate remover but being an avid pool forum reader, I am reluctant to put additional chemicals in my pool.

So I ask your opinions about this. As always, I value what I learn here in the forum.

Thanks for your help!
Melba