Another thread in the pool chemical testing section prompted this question so I figured I would post it where it should be.

I have a 2 speed pump. I'm not sure when I should be using the High speed, or when I should be using the Low speed. I believe it was Pool Doc who just mentioned that on a sand or cartridge filter if my water looks cloudy, I should run on low because it'll filter better. So that's one scenario where I should run it on low, but with that being said, wouldn't I always want it to filter better? I guess because it's filtering slower, it filters better. The low speed is 3/4 horse which most pool stores laugh at for a 30' pool, but I went on the recommendation of all you pool geniuses...lol.

So, when should I run high vs. low?

Also, in regards to a pump timer (which I don't have yet). Would I set the timer to only run on low? I assume a timer wouldn't be able to switch between low and high so I would have to pick one.

One more newbie question that's un-related - should I not remove my skimmer basket while my pump is on? I lifted it up before and it made a flushing sound from all the suction. Should I only remove the basket when the pump is off, or does it matter?