some basic background info:

about 1 1/2 weeks ago we just had the plaster redone. The pool is about 20-23K gallons as best as I can figure. I just have a "basic 4 test" test kit from home depot, (After reading some other things on the forum I realize this may be the problem, but for now let's assume that it isn't - for educational purposes anyway).
I've been testing the water about every other day. Trying to make small changes at a time.
The Ph is always reading high always above 8 and the acid demand is usually about 1-2 quarts. Lower now than at the begining.
The Total Alk. has been reading between 50 and 70.
Chlorine has been going down to be stable from 3 to about 1.5 and goes to about 2 after it sits for a minute or so. (we filled it from the tap which aparently has a 3ppm cl level).
Over the past week I added just under 1 gallon of acid, and but when the TA seemed so low I've also added baking soda intermitently. 1 1/2 cups the first time then 1 1/2 again, and the last time 2 cups. Now the TA is up to 70.

I guess the main question is do I really need to keep trying to get it up first or do I need to get the total ph down first? I've been told that all the plaster dust is causing the ph to be high, and that I should just add more acid. But it seems that from things on this site, maybe I need to get the TA set first then worry about the acid and ph.
I can't seem to find anything that list problems where TA is too low, the other ones I read were the opposite.

Any help or comments other than that I need a new test kit would be appreciated. (I probably do need a better one but for now I hope to work with what I have. at least it's a a way to measure the standard and guage the change I hope.)

thanks,
mb