Thread: had algae, PH high, TA high, water now cloudy

Threaded View

Default had algae, PH high, TA high, water now cloudy

We had a very green pool. 48"x 15' intex. With test strips, FC didn't show, PH & TA were max 8.4/240, I suspect higher. CYA 0. We have a SW system that ran for two days, but turned it off after reading on here that we should get water under control before turning it back on, to extend the life of the SW system. We added bleach & it started looking a little better. Then before I read not to, I added algae guard. Then some chlorine things that go in the skimmer. The water got even more cloudy than it was. It also seemed to bring a little of the green color back. and seemed to have a film on the surface of the water. I added about 3 bags of shock. 1 was the amount advised. The FC- 10, PH- 8.4, and TA- 240 were all at the max on the test strip. CYA showed 30-50. I think the FC/Chlorine level was probably closer to 15 or maybe even 20. I did the 1:1 thing and the FC still maxed out at 10.

Went a purchased a drop tester from Walmart. Just tested with a 6 way drop tester.

Results about 13 hours after adding the shock. Green is gone, but water is still super cloudy. Changing filter every day.

Hardness- (it is suppose to turn red, then add drops for it to turn blue) It started off blue. Our water is VERY soft. strip test looks close to 100. first choice is 0, then the next is 100.
    FC- dark yellow/orange. so I did 1:1 - estimated 10
    PH - 8.4 , color looked just like the 8.4
    TA - 420- 450
    CYA- filled up the tube & I could still see the black dot, guessing - 0/ strip test says 30-50

I added PH down & we have the water that goes back into the pool angled so that it splashes.

Going to test again in the morning. Water smells strongly of Chlorine and is very cloudy. We have family coming over tomorrow and I know the kids are hoping to swim. They won't get here until 2-3pm. Would it be safe to swim with such a high PH and TA? Also, not sure if the FC levels are okay to swim in. I'm thinking I just won't add anything else and cross my fingers it will be okay tomorrow.

Any advice would be great. Thanks so much!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-05-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: fix title