+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: green pool: like black/green pool

Default green pool: like black/green pool

i just started up the pump / filter on my abg pool ealrier today.
    pool = 25 X 15
    in massachusetts.
    i did not cover in the winter and the pool is a dark green.
    i recently purchased a taylor k-2006.
    not an expert in using and it took me a while to do two tests so i wanted to report those.
    there is no free chlorine. when i added two dippers, it did not turn pink. i added 3 more and it never showed any sign of turning pink.
    i also did the ph test and it was slightly off the charts high. i treied the acid demand test.after 2 drops, it ws ph = 7-3.
    i added 1 gallon of pool store shock (12.5) aerlier today.
    i dont hink there is much leaves etc at the bottom, but i cannot see. using my net, it did not seem like there was much there.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: green pool: like black/green pool

~10,000 gallons

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

In a 10K gallon pool, 2 gallons of 6% bleach will take the chlorine to shock level at 12 ppm. I'm assuming you have no stabilizer. You need to get the chlorine up to 12-15 ppm, keeping it there by testing and adding more chlorine as often as possible to maintain that 12-15 until the water clears. Each 3 cups of bleach will raise your FC by 1 ppm, so you can use that as a guide to figure out how much you need to add each time. Brush it daily, keep your pump/filter running 24/7 and clean filter as needed. This will help it clear. If you will scoop out anything you see on the bottom, it will help. The key is going to be getting it up to shock level and keeping it there.

Janet

spent a lot of time cleaning out the pool yesterday.
    added 1.75gl of 6% clorine (clorox) at 3:30
    have a aqua rover that picks up from the floor, independendent of the filter. emptied it 8/9 times. that was full of thick slimey gunk and some fir tree leaves (which are like little pins).
    it did seem to get les as the day progressed.
    i backwahsed 5/6 times.
    at 7:30pm, i added another 1.75gl.
    it was still v dark green going to bed. i did not test, as i thought there was no chemical change.
    i left the filter on high all night.
    this morning, the pool had turned mustard, so it seems i am making progress.
    had to catch a train for work, so no time to test again. will do so when i get home.
    called my wife, and she added about 1 more gallon of 6%.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Post a complete set of current water testing results this evening, please. The more times per day that you (or somebody) can test and each time, add enough bleach to get back to shock level, the faster this clean up will go. Adding one gallon will only take you up to 6ppm, not high enough. You need to be adding however much it takes to get to 12ppm each time.

to update my earlier note, my wife had actually added 1.75 gallon in the morning.
    she then added 1 gal in the afternoon.

i tested when i got home moments ago.

per my k-2006
    FC = .4PPM
    CC = -32PPM (It took 16 drops to get back to colorless after the FC test)

PH = 6.8
    BASE Demand Test = 5 drops (not sure wherer to find my treatment table

Alkilinity = 40 ppm Total Alkalinity as Calcium Carbonate.

dont know if it makes a difference, but there has been a thunderstorm here during the time of testing.
    i did dig down into the pool for the results, so i would hope the rain did not impact the results.

sturev is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sturev 0

If you put two gallons of bleach in the pool, how long is it before it drops below 12ppm? At that point is when you need to add more bleach. I suspect that your either never hitting 12ppm or if you are, it's only lasting 15 to 30 mins... If your able to keep it at shock level more often, it's going to take way less time to clear. If that means adding 2 gallons every hour then so be it

You should get some Borax in the pool ASAP, your reading of 6.8 is probably not accurate as that's probably just the lowest the test will measure and it could be much lower... Get it up to about 7.2 if you can as soon as possible, it can damage your pump and other equipment.

PS, you can go to http://www.poolcalculator.com to plug your numbers in and see how much borax to add.
    Evan S.

AG FastLane Pool, 9x13 ~ 3,000 gal, COVERED/INSULATED 23X7, 30 gpm water pump (runs 12 hrs a day) AND a Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5 hp Pump (only used on occasion for the pool sweep), Hayward 100K BTU Heater, Waterway Flo-Pro Skim Filter & Slime Bag, no other filters

i just got back from wal mart after getting four 4lb of 20 mule team borax
    i am going to the calculator to find out how much i need to put in the pool.
    is it ok to include chlorine nad borax at the same time? do they offset ph-wise?or is that the actual idea?
    also, what does 12 ppm mean. i know there are three types of chlorine ppm readings. which one is being referenced below.
    i am going to bed at some stage tonight, so i will have one more trip to the pool.
    if i can put in the chlorine and the borax at one time, what is the max amount of chlroine i can put in without adverse side effects. also, if i cannot put both in at the same time
    which one is more important to put in.

also, i used my pool rover again tonight. hardly any green gunk at all. quite the normal dirt one would find.
    the water is a very light green now, with slight increase in visibility depth
    there is a white "spray" forming on the surface.
    i tried the cya test, and i think it was at 30. that test does seem a bit subjective. if i squinted just right, i could see the essence of the black spot at the bottom, even at 30.

the pool calculator suggested 2 of the 4lb boxes of borax to raise my ph.
    i just added.
    i would like to know if i can throw some chlorine in tonight also without limiting the job that the borax is trying to accomplish.

+ Reply to Thread