+ Reply to Thread

Thread: should i get a salt water generator?

Default should i get a salt water generator?

Hi,

I just bought a house with a pool that needs a lot of work. The pool guy is recommending a SW generator for an extra $2k.

I kind of need to decide tonight or in the next day or two so I can get the work started. Bottom line, should I get one or just do the "normal" method?

Thanks in advance.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: should i get a salt water generator?

Only you can decide. Why can't you add one later? SWCGs work and work well, but if the money is getting tight, you should be able to retrofit it. But if that's not an issue, you may want to go ahead. I just hate, personally, be rushed into such decisions.
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

I have had a SWG on my pool for several years now and would not have a pool without one. They do have their own unique set of 'problems' that can occur but in the long run they really do make pool maintenance easier. If you poll the SWG owners on here (and other forums) you will find that the very vast majority of them are more than satisfied and would not go back to other methods of chlorination.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

In fact, the wife and I are consdering just getting the pool fixed up and researching the issue further, possibly installing the SWG next year.

On the other hand, it would be nice to have a more clear answer on the issue and just decide for good one way or the other.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Bluprint,
    Welcome to the forum. I too bought a house in 97 with an inground pool and knew nothing about pools at the time and it needed major work. Liner and equipment. Hired a pool contractor based on recommendations and it went well but I wish I had been smarter at the time. You have the advantage of having found this site before the work. At this point I would concentrate on the rest of the work to get the pool up and running. Probably the only thing you should plan for is the location of the cell in the plumbing to add the SWCG later. Guess what I'm saying is leave enough of a straight section of pipe after the filter for the cell. Hope everything goes well and keep us posted.
    Al
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post
    I have had a SWG on my pool for several years now and would not have a pool without one. They do have their own unique set of 'problems' that can occur but in the long run they really do make pool maintenance easier. If you poll the SWG owners on here (and other forums) you will find that the very vast majority of them are more than satisfied and would not go back to other methods of chlorination.
    Everything Evan says has been true of our members' experiences with SWCGs. They are like robotic cleaners--once you try it you become addicted! (I LOVE my Blue Diamond--when it's working, which it is again)

Personally, for me, adding LC is SO easy I just can't justify the cost for the benefit. But the key word here is "PERSONAL". I keep looking at them and going "Hmmm!"

But I HATE when someone tries to rush me into a decision that involves spending a significant amount of money. When I succumb I am frequently sorry. I suggest you wait and research all the various SWCG options and search our forum for discussions. As Poconos suggests, make sure the plumbing is done so it can be an easy install later. I'm not sure of the electrical requirements but if you have to have an electrician in anyway, you may want to get it set up for later (I have a 40 amp 220 line that isn't connected but is ready if I ever put in a heat pump.)

Our experts on SWCG, Evan (Waterbear) and PoolSean can help. Meantime, learn the B-B-B system and you'll find that pool care is, even without an SWCG, simple, easy and, as your expertise grows and you see what works, even a little fun!
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    Everything Evan says has been true of our members' experiences with SWCGs. They are like robotic cleaners--once you try it you become addicted! (I LOVE my Blue Diamond--when it's working, which it is again)

Personally, for me, adding LC is SO easy I just can't justify the cost for the benefit. But the key word here is "PERSONAL". I keep looking at them and going "Hmmm!"

But I HATE when someone tries to rush me into a decision that involves spending a significant amount of money. When I succumb I am frequently sorry. I suggest you wait and research all the various SWCG options and search our forum for discussions. As Poconos suggests, make sure the plumbing is done so it can be an easy install later. I'm not sure of the electrical requirements but if you have to have an electrician in anyway, you may want to get it set up for later (I have a 40 amp 220 line that isn't connected but is ready if I ever put in a heat pump.)

Our experts on SWCG, Evan (Waterbear) and PoolSean can help. Meantime, learn the B-B-B system and you'll find that pool care is, even without an SWCG, simple, easy and, as your expertise grows and you see what works, even a little fun!
    I agree with Carl, get the pool fixed first. Follow the methods in this forum and you will have a clear and sparkling pool at minimal costs. Adding the SWG is a way to automate the introduction of chlorine. It is an expense but it can be installed at any time. IMHO, it is an expense well spent but it is a personal choice.

The only thing I will stress is to get a GOOD test kit and NOT to skimp on it. The vast majority of members here use a Taylor K-2006 (NOT the K-2005) and is the one that we would recommend (and I own one myself). (Many of the members, myself included, have a kit that is no longer available but is functionally the same as the K-2006 and used the same Taylor reagents that was sold through this site. The K-2006 is the one you want that is available today! I really can't recommend any others or imitators currently available, and I own many of them myself too.)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

That being said, the Leslies Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit IS the K-2006--in a Leslies box. The chemicals and the cells are all Taylor and totally interchangeable. But Leslies doesn't sell it in the store-fronts, only on-line.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread