+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Legacy Portable w/ Bowed Sides

Gateway to Death Valley - Ridgecrest, Ca.

Question Legacy Portable w/ Bowed Sides

Howdy group. We have a 13 x 25 Legacy portable pool that's been in place for 4 or 5 years, and the long sides are bowing out. It was just a little bit, which seems logical, but this year it is getting worse. Is this due to settling? One corner has dropped a few inches, and the opposite side is the one with the biggest bow. And more importantly, is this dangerous? I don't want 10,000 gallons of water rushing our house. And no, the ground around the sunken corner isn't wet, and there's no water loss, so I've ruled out a leak. Thanx!

odddon
    Last edited by odddon; 06-21-2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: removed picture link

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Legacy Portable w/ Bowed Sides

Hi Oddon;

Can't answer your questions, but need to offer a caution. We're not going to be normally allowing "Temp Subs" or several other categories of users to post links or images.

Currently if you add a link or image, moderation will stall till I personally look at it.

The reason is that links and images are what our friendly link-hackers are trying post -- of course, they post links or images with bad destinations. But, since the hackers don't send me profile pictures of themselves in red face paint and with a pointed tell, I'm never sure who they are till they do bad stuff. For that reason I will be inspecting 100% of posts from 'untrusted' user categories, if they contain links or images, before they're moderated in. I don't think a hacker would pay to get a user ID, but the "Temp Sub" group is pretty inexpensive. It's possible a hacker might pay me for a login, in order to get a chance to steal from y'all.

The general rule will be that the regular subscriber categories who've supplied personal information OR the long time users (since 2006) are the only ones who will be allowed to post links unmoderated.

Thanks for your understanding on this.

PoolDoc

Red face Re: Legacy Portable w/ Bowed Sides

Not a problem, sorry for including the link - I removed it. It just seems that most AG pool questions I've seen aren't about the "portable" (as they call it anyway) pool type that we have, but ones with straight sides and liners, etc. I wanted to show which type we have, especially how it is supported. It won't happen again! Or at least until I can afford a real membership.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Don -- hope you will bump up to a real membership some time if you are able. We would like to have you stick around. I, for one, have enjoyed your posts! Some of them are quite humorous!

I had a similar problem with a 18' round AG pool. Check with the Manufacturer for Vertical upright supports for your model. Mine were 2 feet high (If memory serves) and were placed behind the upright next to the side wall at the bottom near the bottom sidewall track. You may have to partially disassemble the top rail to gain access to pull the verticals out far enough to install the supports. Mine was done without draining, one vertical at a time.

Good luck. BTDG
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

Cool Re: Legacy Portable w/ Bowed Sides

Hmmmm, I'm not sure we're talking about the same type of pool, but what do I know? Instead of posting a picture, you can see our pool, if you so desire, at legacyportablepools dot com. (As far as I can tell, the site is safe.) It's the one on the top right corner noted as "traditional rectangle", or the bottom left as "The Legacy". Ours is the 13 x 25 rectangle.

I think I've found the cause, after some weed whacking this morning. Grass grows around the pool, and it had gotten pretty tall on the affected side. With the grass removed, I see the base of the supports have sunken into the dirt an inch or 2. I'm going to have to drain the sucker to fix this, but hope it makes it until the season ends without a backyard tsunami!

odddon (counting down my 24 posts.....)

This Just In!!! Finally got a response from Legacy:

"You should be very concerned as yyour legs are sinking into the ground and not giving the side the support it needs, which could lead to collapse.
    Empy the pool and shhore up and support the legs so that they are level with the bottom of the rest of the pool."

Now I have to decide - do it now, or take my chances and do it after the season. It has taken 5 years for it to get to this point, will it make it another 4 months or so? I've spent a fair amount of money and a lot of time trying to fix what I neglected over the off-season, and 10,500 gallons of new water isn't exactly cheap either. Oh bother.....
    Last edited by odddon; 06-22-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: added info from pool company

I, too, have a 13'x25' Legacy rectangular pool. One end of the pool has done the same thing. I have read that emptying an above ground pool will cause the sides to collapse. Is this true with the Legacy pools? Also, I have been searching for a replacement liner for my pool as I want to be prepared in the event something would happen to the current liner. My pool is about 13 or 14 years old. So far, I have had no luck in this endeavor! Does anyone know if a liner can be obtained?
    13'x25'x52" (10,000 gal.) Legacy vinyl above ground pool
    Hayward S180T Pro Series 18-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter
    Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series 1-1/2-Horsepower Above-Ground Pool Pump
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Generator System Model (CS8110)

+ Reply to Thread