+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: White flakes in water

steveinaz is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher steveinaz 2 stars steveinaz 2 stars

Default Re: White flakes in water

Ok. Will do.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

remember to monitor your FC since you will see a small decrease in chlorine demand when you raise the CYA and most likely a larger drop in chlorine demand when you finally add the borates.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

steveinaz is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher steveinaz 2 stars steveinaz 2 stars

Well, I've got a serious case of anal-cranium disease. Checked my CYA last night, it's in the 45-50ppm range. A trip to Walmart will fix that tonight. I have re-run all my tests, I guess some of my results were out of date. I usually run all tests in the spring, and then just test Chlorine/pH throughout the swim season. I'm also going to replace a bunch of my reagents this evening.

My pool is so easy to care for, but it's lulled me into a false sense of security. Let me get some numbers normalized, and go from there. Right now here are the numbers (tested, again, last night):

FC=3-5ppm typically
    CC=0
    pH=7.6 but requires 1/2 cup acid every other day to maintain
    CH=710ppm
    TA=180ppm
    CYA=45-50ppm
    Salt=2600ppm (2250-2750 recommended)
    Water tmp @ testing=86 degrees

I'll bring the CYA up to 80ppm, and I'm beating down the TA. This fall I'll do a sizable drain to lower CH. I'm also going to replace the QuikChlor SWCG with an Aqua Rite XL. In spite of the numbers, the water has looked/felt great all summer; crystal clear (minus the white flakes), though I believe it was a calcium ridden salt cell that caused that glitch.
    Last edited by steveinaz; 06-24-2010 at 10:42 AM.

An update. After 2 cleanings, my salt cell looks like new, so I got that taken care of. BTW. I tried to find PVC pieces to build a cap for my cell, making cleaning easier, and less wasteful---no luck. So I found an interesting solution...at Target they had a large cylindrical glass vase. Perfect diameter and height for cleaning my salt cell---plus, being glass I can see the cell blades through it to watch the progress. Anywho...

FC=5ppm
    CC=0
    pH=7.5
    TA=160ppm (20ppm drop from 5 days ago)
    CH=710ppm (this will be addressed in the fall)
    CYA= (will test on Wednesday, waiting for added CYA to dissolve fully)

I've been hammering the pool with acid, daily, and now have the CORRECT phenol red solution (R-0004). We're already noticing the clarity/quality of the water greatly improving. I'm targeting 80ppm for CYA, I'll see where we are on Wednesday.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Thanks for the update. I was wondering about you when I made a quick sweep through the forum early this morning and your name caught my eye. Glad things are improving for you.

My posts lately look like a repeat of 3yrs ago...

This time I'll be more patient and fix it RIGHT.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

That's where the POPP--pool owner patience and persistence--kicks in!! It's too bad we have to learn it the hard way, but I think we all have to go through it at some point in time!! Glad your pool problems are cleared up. And thanks for the update!!

Janet

Flakes are gone, go here for a continuation...http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=10034

+ Reply to Thread