+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Refilling Pool

Question Refilling Pool

I'm going to empty and refill my IG pool after numerous extremely high CYA levels! I would like any advice from the experts as to things I need to be aware of and when to start adding the chemicals to the new water. I live in the desert of South Utah so not to worried about any groundwater issues. Thanks for any good advice!!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Refilling Pool

Post your CYA levels -- you might not have to drain.

And . . . if you have a liner pool, you CAN'T drain, without damaging your pool, unless you make special preparations.

PoolDoc

I have a gunite pool. My CYA levels were past 200 and my water has turned a murky green. We tested our alkalinity and it was way high also around 210, we have tried for weeks using muriatic acid and using to bleach to keep chlorine levels up for around 10 ppm, this only lighten the water to a lighter green and lowered the level to around 180. We are tired of pumping money into a seemingly never ending solution. Was thinking the best way is to get a new start with fresh water. Our water was crystal clear in April then something went wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Yeah, with CYA (stabilizer, cyanuric acid) > greater than 200 ppm, 10 ppm wouldn't begin to be enough to clear your algae. And, as long as you didn't get high enough to kill it, you'd just end up using the chlorine up.

So . . . since you have a concrete pool and are (presumably) in a dry area where the pool won't float out of the ground, draining and refilling might be the best bet. You could fix things up as they are, but you'd end up running chemical levels outside the range of most test kits, and that would make things complicated and confusing.

Once you restart, let's figure out how to avoid getting your stabilizer so high! You also might want to post test results on your FILL water, so you can get the start up chemistry right.

Good luck,

PoolDoc

Yes I live in the desert, so no groundwater issues. I will post my new test results after I refill. I want to get on the BBB method of maintaining my pool. Thanks for your input PoolDoc!!

Question Re: Refilling Pool

My pool is drained and has the dreaded green lines and such from algae, I know that an acid wash would be the best thing but can't afford that right now. What would be the best cleaning stuff to use to clean the algae marks and such?? Thanks!

You're in luck!

An acid wash would NOT be the best thing. Acid washing works by CORRODING off the top layer of pool plaster. What's left is whiter, but also rougher, more porous, and MUCH more susceptible to algae and staining.

Rent a LOW POWER pressure washer (ideally, a low power high volume washer) and pressure wash your pool. GREAT way to get an all over tan, because the sun reflects off the sides onto every thing but the soles of your feet. Of course, if you don't tan, slather the sunscreen on!

Be careful: high pressure can cut the plaster as badly as acid, so don't over do it. It can also cause SERIOUS skin infections, so don't accidentally spray yourself.

Do NOT try to remove 100% of the stains -- let chlorine do that later. Instead, get the bulk of it and refill. It would help if you slosh a 5:1 water / bleach mix on the sides. Doing so will help remove the marks AND give you an algae free start up.

When you do it, do not wear any clothes or swimwear you like; do wear sun glasses or safety glasses; do wear cuffed gloves; do NOT leave the bleach mix on your skin for long periods. I'd do it in an old swimsuit, gloves, and flip flops, and keep a hose running gently near me to clean off splashes. A plastic bristle broom will help you spread the stuff around. If you've removed the goop first, you can leave the bleach mix in the pool on startup. Just make sure it's diluted some by pool fill before you start your pump.

PoolDoc

Quote Originally Posted by utahpool View Post
    My pool is drained and has the dreaded green lines and such from algae, I know that an acid wash would be the best thing but can't afford that right now. What would be the best cleaning stuff to use to clean the algae marks and such?? Thanks!
    Oh, no! An acid wash would not be the best thing... it dissolves carbonate structure (plaster etc.) and could shorten the life of your pool surface.

If the dreaded green lines are composed of organic material (such as algae residue) try maintaining a higher than normal concentration of chlorine in your pool and brush the lines every day. Eventually they'll fade and should disappear completely.

[Edit: posted at same time -- follow PoolDoc's recommendations]
    Last edited by polyvue; 06-21-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Added comment
    16'x29' free-form 14K gal IG gunite pool; SWCG & sodium hypochlorite 8.25%; Hayward SwimClear C4025 cartridge filter; Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump; custom test kit based on Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:8.6

I did pressure wash it and it came out pretty good! Thanks for the advice. Now to start the refilling process might take a day or two with a hose. Should I check the levels after it is mostly full then add chemicals or what?

Just make sure you dose it with chlorine nightly while your are filling.

You can adjust your other levels later.

Start your pump as soon as you can, after there's at least 6" water in the shallow end.

PoolDoc

+ Reply to Thread