+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Metal in pool

Default Re: Metal in pool

pool doc
    that's what the bottles and bucket said was calcium hypochlor.... There is a skimmer on the pool. it hangs in water and screws to side(metal frame pool) then there is hose that goes from skimmer to liner adapter on inside of pool.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I guess the one I'm really suspicious the container of "pucks" -- make SURE they are cal hypo. If they are, and if you are using ONLY cal hypo or bleach to chlorinate AND if you have a skimmer . . .

. . . then there may be a way to remove the iron.

But verify the pucks, first. Bad things happen with trichlor and cal hypo when they get close to each other.

PoolDoc

The chlorine pucks are made of:
    calcium hypochlorite 47.6%
    other ingredients 52.4%

last night when i talked to my husband from work around 730pm, he said the pool water was the worst it has ever been. i looked at it this morning and he was right. so dark that i can't even see bottom. this has never happened to me before where it has gotten worse. We are changing the filter cartridges constantly. Do you think i should just just go buy that sand filter?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

newpoolgirl,

What is the brand on the pucks and what color is the lid? some manufacturers use yellow lids on cal hypo and orange on trichlor.
    Also, there are not that many cal hypo tabs on the market.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Smile Re: Metal in pool

it's hth brand pucks. the lid is yellow. (their trichlor lid is orange)

i do have a breakthrough...lol...i was holding off of adding more sequestrant since our conversation yesterday, but since my water was looking worse, i bought some cheap brand and put it in this AM. now my water went from brown to cloudy greenish color there is alot of stuff settling on bottom. i made my own vac system out of intex vac head that came with pool. bought a cheap hose and stuck that on the end where the bag would go on vac head, and shoved other end of that hose into intake on inside of pool. it was sucking stuff up, but the cartridges didn't filter it. everything was going back into pool. Went out and bought sand filter made by AquaQuik, now i can vacuum and clean water goes back into pool. hoping that this filter clears the water for me so I can start over.

If this works should i continue with the pucks i have?
    What is the real deal with shocking? Do I shock and continue to have brown water?
    Bleach is the cheaper way to go?

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

I'm glad you are having some success! I would keep the filter running, and keep your chlorine at 5 (it is not shocking your water at that level). If you can give us a new set of numbers it would be good. The metal out you put in the water probably took your ph down. I would not add anything else for now. Just keep vacuuming and see how it looks tomorrow. I would go to regular bleach. You don't want to add anything but chlorine to your water. Your cya is already at 60, and you may already have a high calcium level. You just have to keep the chlorine up there. You don't have to shock for now if the pool is holding chlorine.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Day 2
    water is no longer mint green, now it is just cloudy.
    today's #'s
    Hardness 150
    TC 0
    FC 0
    pH 7.2
    TA 140
    CYA 50

do you think the cloudy water will clear on it's own?
    Should I start adding the bleach now or should i add more sequestering agent before i do just in case?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Please put some chlorine in ASAP -- whatever kind you've got.

Pools 'spoil' VERY quickly in hot sunny weather without chlorine. I will try to look at all that's gone on in your pool since I last posted, but can't do so right this minute. But I did want to encourage you to get some chlorine in before it's too late.

Ben
    "PoolDoc"

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by newpoolgirl View Post
    it's hth brand pucks. the lid is yellow. (their trichlor lid is orange)
    Yes, these are cal hypo pucks for use in the skimmer BUT they do contain copper if they are the 'dual action' ones!!!!!!
    The ones I sold did. (NOT my choice or my decision to make.)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

ok I will add chlorine. just wasn't sure if i had to wait a day or 2 after the sequestering agent. Also, can someone paste that site for the bleach calculation per the water test. I know it's on here somewhere but I can't find it. thx

+ Reply to Thread