+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Robotic Vacs for IG Pool- Good and Bad Experiences Please

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Robotic Vacs for IG Pool- Good and Bad Experiences Please

Ultimately, all of them come from the same family. I don't know who was first, but the story I heard was it was invented by an Israeli family and the various members had a falling out and each started their own version--which is why the Aquabot, Blue Diamond and Dolphin are all basically the same design--two or three motors (depending on whether the treads are single or doubled), angling handle, center motor vacuums up junk and sucks the thing down so it sticks to the wall.

I figured out that since there aren't any sensors in these things, they must sense the change in current draw when they hit an obstacle and they can even analyze that change to determine whether to reverse or try to climb the wall. Kind of like when a power saw is pushed TOO hard and the lights dim. Since they were all family there must have been some agreement on patent sharing too.
    Carl

This web site has some good info on robots, and also some hints for repairing the Diagnostic Dolphin: http://www.i-love-my-aquabot-automat...com/index.html

I can give you a users' report on the Dolphin. We bought one about 5 or 6 years ago. For some time all was well; it climbed the walls, it vacuumed, it dusted, it polished. However, about 2 years after we bought it the strain relief on the power supply gave way. I opened the power supply (the horror!) and determined that replacing the plastic fitting wouldn't be beyond my abilities, if I had the fitting. Maytronics, the Dolphin's momma, refused to sell me the fitting, told me I should send the ENTIRE unit to them, at my expense, of course. They said they'd update software, etc.

About $60 shipping each way, my dime both ways, plus about $150 for Maytronics' expertise the Dolphin returned with the strain relief fixed, plus a float added to the supply cord about 2 feet from the robot. This, I was told, was to insure that Dolph wouldn't trip over the cord. Problem is, now even with the floats on the handle removed Dolph's wall climbing is but a shadow of its former self.

Early this summer I noticed that the flexible clear plastic cover over the power supply switch was deteriorating. An extensive net search located one, with a $25 minimum order for a $3 part. I called the local Diagnostic distributor in the Atlanta area, and was told that the design of the cover had been changed, so shipping the power supply might be necessary. After a little whining and pouting on my part, they located a cover (on someone's desk?) and sent it to me gratis.

At one point Dolph had thrown a tread. I used the above site and took off the side plates and removed .... a plastic shard from one of those really flimsy little pots that bedding plants come in. The plastic was barely thicker than 30 pound paper! Nasty job undoing Dolph, I left some blood behind, and I've done car clutch jobs, etc.

Long story short, I doubt we'd buy another Dolphin. YMMV, of course.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I loved my Dolphin until it failed in its 3rd year--and I had to deal with the nightmare of Maytronics.

When my newest Blue Diamond failed, I dropped it off at the repair depot in Cedar Grove, NJ. Two days later it was on my doorstep, fixed perfectly, at NO cost to me. Their service blows Dolphin's out of the water and into the Gobi Desert!
    Carl

My experience is with the "Aquabot" line of robotic pool cleaners. The function of the product is great, it reduces the need to vacuum your pool and takes a lot of stress off of your filter system (and is also a lot easier to clean than your filter). The downside is bad though, the units on average are over $800, parts and service are very expensive, and in my experience they rarely last more than 2-3 years without needing major repairs.

Right now my current Aquabot is totally dead and I doubt I will be shelling out the money to temporally repair it or to buy a new one.

I think the Blue Diamond has the longest warranty--4 years.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by myLABSpool View Post
    I've now had my Aquabot Supreme for about 1 week and have run it 4 or 5 times for 2-3 hours/run in my 18x36 free form vinyl pool. I am highly impressed with its performance. Within 2 hours or so, it has cleaned the entire pool. It does NOT get stuck behind the ladder. It does hit the ladder, but it reverses itself after several seconds. It climbs the walls without problem right up to the water line and also partially climbs and cleans my walkin steps. The filter bag is loaded with small debris that I could not see. My water is sparkling clear and as long as the Aquabot lasts a long time, I will be VERY HAPPY with this purchase.
    Just a quick and final update (unless something changes my opinion). I've now had my Aquabot Supreme for nearly a month and we could not be happier. We run it every few days as needed and our water has never been clearer nor pool walls and bottom cleaner. We have teenagers, their friends, a black lab and golden retriever that use the pool regularly. The amount of dog hair, dirt and grass clippings picked up by the vac amazes me. I am absolutely amazed at how much stuff I find in the filter bag each time it runs, even when the bottom only looks slightly dirty.

The Aquabot usually covers our entire 18x36 24K gal free form pool including walls up to the waterline in about 2 hours, although I usually set the timer for 3 or 4 hours to take advantage of the water filtration capability and help my filter. In fact, I have not backwashed since I got my Aquabot.

I am very, very fussy about ultra crystal clear water and I know the Aquabot has been a big help in getting me there.

So if you are in the market for a robotic vac and have $1000 budget, I would highly recommend the Aquabot Supreme.

+ Reply to Thread