+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: More on PoolBusters

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default More on PoolBusters

When the PoolBuster first hit the stores, I acted like a little kid and bought one on impulse. Much to my surprise, it worked AMAZINGLY well--so well I stopped using my manual vacuum completely, relying on the PB and the Dolphin Robotic.

However, I found battery life to be incredibly disappointing. I thought it was just grandiose claims and thought, well, that's the price. It's still a good gadget. I didn't contact PB about it until recently, well after the warranty ran out.

Big mistake. They now have a replacement battery/motor pack that they sell--it's pricey, about 1/3 of the total price. Had I contacted them during the warranty they would have just given it to me. But I had to buy it. This is no slam on PB--The warranty is 1 year, and I contacted them after 2 1/2 years. Still, they were pretty good about it--I couldn't find my charger so they sent me a used one for free with the battery/motor.

But the new battery/motor is fairly easy to install, and BOY! WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It's running like it's supposed to again. I also ordered the silt bag--it, too, increases the PB's effectiveness.

I don't know about the newer PoolBuster models, but I am still very, very pleased with mine. It's like a new unit again.
    Carl

tjcat is offline ** No working email address ** tjcat 0

Default Re: More on PoolBusters

Hi, I read your post on the dolphin pool cleaner but haven't been able to find it. We ordered a 28 ft above ground. There seem to be 2 choices in robotic cleaners for above ground pools, the aquabot pool rover and the dophin roboclean, do you use an inground cleaner?
    Thanks, tj

kevincad is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst kevincad 0

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    When the PoolBuster first hit the stores, I acted like a little kid and bought one on impulse. Much to my surprise, it worked AMAZINGLY well--so well I stopped using my manual vacuum completely, relying on the PB and the Dolphin Robotic.

However, I found battery life to be incredibly disappointing. I thought it was just grandiose claims and thought, well, that's the price. It's still a good gadget. I didn't contact PB about it until recently, well after the warranty ran out.

Big mistake. They now have a replacement battery/motor pack that they sell--it's pricey, about 1/3 of the total price. Had I contacted them during the warranty they would have just given it to me. But I had to buy it. This is no slam on PB--The warranty is 1 year, and I contacted them after 2 1/2 years. Still, they were pretty good about it--I couldn't find my charger so they sent me a used one for free with the battery/motor.

But the new battery/motor is fairly easy to install, and BOY! WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It's running like it's supposed to again. I also ordered the silt bag--it, too, increases the PB's effectiveness.

I don't know about the newer PoolBuster models, but I am still very, very pleased with mine. It's like a new unit again.
    Can you attach the thing to a handle?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by tjcat
    Hi, I read your post on the dolphin pool cleaner but haven't been able to find it. We ordered a 28 ft above ground. There seem to be 2 choices in robotic cleaners for above ground pools, the aquabot pool rover and the dophin roboclean, do you use an inground cleaner?
    Thanks, tj
    Oh, there are a LOT more than that..There's the "Blue Diamond" (i think).

I have the Dolphin Dynamic--and I use it on a vinyl AG pool--but it's more like an IG--16x40 rectangle, with a 5.5' deep end. Hard sided--the water is not a structural element--merely holds the liner in place.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by kevincad
    Can you attach the thing to a handle?
    Yup. Has a standard fitting like a skimmer or brush. It wouldn't be worth it without it, but that's a good question.
    Carl

I just got one of these this year (new pool), I was on the fence until I read CarlD's post in the "old" forums. I bought the CG model, supposedly 1/3 more suction and charges in 2 hours (instead of 8). So far, it has been wonderful. We don't currently have any type of robot (I have an Aquabot Pool Rover Plus on order, didn't really want a "scrubbing" unit, this one just uses water pressure to clean). The CG model includes the fine filter bag which traps silt and fine dirt really well.

The thing sounds like a toy until you put it into the water. Then you can just feel a little vibration through the pole. We have run ours about 30 to 40 minutes at a time with no problem. You do need to clean out the filter bag more often than WaterTech says, but we use a small bucket and it is no problem. We used it on opening, took several days to really clean up the silt that had fallen through our mesh winter cover, but now we use it once a day before swimming. We use the little roller wheels instead of the brushes, supposedly (according to the Watertech website) this provides more suction and is safe for vinyl.

My wife loves it, it is SOOOOO much easier to use than the regular vacuum setup. If it had a larger coverage and filter bag I might even consider not getting an automatic cleaner!

Just a tip:
    I notice these regularly sell on ebay for $165-$175. Compare shipping charges as they vary a lot.

Davenj is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst Davenj 0

Thanks for the review. I have a spill over spa and this looks like the way to go.

salinda is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher salinda 0

Carl,

I completely agree on the PoolBuster. I have the newer Turbo version. I love it for the spillover spa and the steps. I have a lot of Ca precipitate in my spa and the silt bag captures a lot of it if I go SLOWLY. Very simple, effective design and worth every penny imo.

I, too, love my PoolBuster. I've had some issues with water getting inside the "water tight" compartment where the battery is, but as long as I unscrew it and leave it on it's side, it's great. I used to use a manual pump-action vacuum for my steps, now I use this. And since I hate my Polaris 380 misses lots of areas, I just zip it up with my Poolbuster.

+ Reply to Thread