+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Aqua Green in color

Default Aqua Green in color

Hello all. I have a 33' above ground pool that had a really bad algae problem. We use Pristine Blue so the pool ppl said to drain it so we did.

My question is we got 90% algae out filled it up put 3 lbs of shock in it now it's a aqua color. Before the shock it was a dark color. Will the shock make it clear or will I need to waite till I put clarifier and Pristine Blue in? I also head not to use Pristine Blue what would you recommend

Thanks

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Aqua Green in color

Whoa!

First off, Welcome to the Forum.

Secondly, put those other chemicals aside for a little while (like until the next millennium! ) You are going to need to stick to chlorine and a few other simple chemical--but no clarifiers, flocculents, algaecides, phosphate removers, etc.

We have to start by getting a baseline. I'm guessing your pool is between 22,000 and 25,000 gallons (the former if your water is 3'6" deep, the latter if it's 4' deep--the water, not the pool), unless you have a deep end or deep center.

We will need the following tests--the pool store can give them and when they try to sell you something you can say "I'm just checking on the stuff I got from you last time".
    FC: Free Chlorine
    CC: Combined Chloramines
    or
    TC: Total Chlorine (Since TC=FC+CC, we only need either TC or CC)
    pH: Yup, THAT pH--same as chem class. But swim water needs to be slightly more basic than 7.0 neutral--7.2-7.8
    T/A: Total alkalinity--a measure of the buffering of pH
    CYA: Cyanuric Acid, called Stabilizer or Conditioner. You need some to keep chlorine from disappearing too fast, but too much causes other difficulties.
    CH: Calcium Hardness. For a vinyl pool there is no "too low" despite what pool stores say. There is, however, a "Too High" so we need to know that.

You should get yourself a proper test kit and learn to use it--it's not hard, but it's well worth the $50 to $70 it costs, paying you back a 100x over every year. We recommend the Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD test kit or the Leslie's FAS-DPD Service Test Kit, which is basically the same thing. Unfortunately ALL FAS-DPD test kits, regardless of brand are only available on-line--your odds of finding one in a local pool store are zippo (I found just the FAS-DPD chlorine test, without the others once--5 years ago!). Order it today --one of the other mods can point you to the best place to buy.

We also need to know if you've added either a copper-based algaecide or ammonia-based one. Do NOT add either if you haven't, and don't add more if you have.

Next I advise you to go to our "DEALING WITH ALGAE" section and start reading the threads at the top that are stickied. They aren't long and they are easy.

Also read up on the B-B-B system of pool care. You'll be AMAZED to know that most of the chemicals you ACTUALLY need for your pool are sold far cheaper at your grocery store or local hardware store and are easily available:
    Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda, Washing Soda, Muriatic Acid.

The process you need to go through is very simple.

In a nutshell:
    You need to put enough chlorine in your pool to poison and kill the algae until it's completely and totally dead--and get it out of there.

You'll need to keep the pH correct, and make sure you don't throw any chems in willy-nilly because the pool store said to.

There's nothing mysterious or magic about pool care. It's simple and easy, even when you have problems. We are here to help but you'll have to do all the heavy lifting--it's your pool. Your most important ingredient will be P.O.P.P. which is Pool Owner Patience and Persistence.

We REMOVE the magic from pool care. But there is no magic solution you dump in and POW! your water is ready.

So...load up on bleach, and start reading--and get us those numbers!

Carl
    Carl

Thanks! Leaving for church the only things I have added are Acid, Pristine Check 32oz, 3lbs Super Shock so far.

Color is looking better should I add bleach now instead shock?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

"shock" is something you do to the pool, not a product you put in it. It means to add chlorine (bleach or other chlorine) til you get up to shock level. Re-read Carl's post, post the numbers he asked for, and I'm sure we can help you clear it up.

Janet

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Pristine Check? That's one of those products made by a company that won't say what's in it--or how they claim it works. One of their products uses potassium monopersulfate, but not this one.

We always recommend against using such products without more information (and the manufacturer's hype doesn't count).
    Carl

Angry Re: Aqua Green in color

Ok I got my water analysis today don't look good since I added 3 lbs of Super Shock Saturday evening.

TC - 0
    TA - 129
    CYA - 7
    CH - 0
    PH - 7.7
    This is the kicker -----> Phosphates - 2500

Default Just bought my first jugs of bleach ready to go.

I just picked up 3 jugs of off brand bleach from walmart. I had my pool water tested today this is what it looks like

TC - 0
    TA - 129
    CYA - 7
    CH - 0
    PH - 7.7

I'm on well water and found out today I have a lot of Phosphates which is 2500. I was not sure on how to get the phosphates down so I bought a bottle of Phosaway. My pool holds around 26,000 gallons.

Thanks

EDIT by Watermom --- Dirtboy it is better to continue in the same thread where people have already been helping you with your pool problem. So, I merged the new thread you started this evening with your other one. Let's keep it all here instead of starting any other new ones about this particular problem. Thank you.
    Last edited by Watermom; 06-14-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Just bought my first jugs of bleach ready to go.

Please note my EDIT message in your post above.

Regarding the phosphates --- you got "poolstored." Selling people phosphate removers is the latest money maker for pool stores. I suggest that you not add it to your pool. Also, there is no way a pool store could discern a CYA reading of 7.

At any rate, since you have well water, that means there is a possibility of having metals in your water. So, I am going to move this thread to the metals forum where you will have more people who are familiar with this set of circumstances notice this thread.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Just bought my first jugs of bleach ready to go.

HIgh phosphates is the latest and greatest way to separate you from your wallet. There are very, very very few pools that can't be cleaned up with chlorine. Buying stuff from the pool store and throwing it into the pool hoping it will help is not going to get you anywhere, and is very much liable to increase your problems. You need to add chlorine, and maybe a little CYA. With CYA of 7 (don't know how they even measured that), the sun is eating your chlorine as soon as it goes into the water., I would add CYA through a tube sock hung in front of the return (target 20 ppm) but it takes several days for it to dissolve. Until then, you're going to have to make frequent chlorine additions to keep chlorine in your pool.

Janet

Watermom and I apparently were answering at the same time and she beat me to the "post" button!

+ Reply to Thread