+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Aqua Green in color

Default Re: Aqua Green in color

Thought about the tube sock. What would be the best way to tie it off from the side. If I don't go with the sock should I slowly add it to the skimmer?
    33'x33' round 28K gal AG vinyl pool; skimmer BBB; Sandollar 60 200lb sand sand filter; Pentair 1.5 pump; hrs; Taylor; well; summer: none; winter: none; ; PF:4.3

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Yes, but if you do put it in the skimmer, you must leave your pump running and not backwash for up to a week. CYA dissolves really slowly (takes up to a week) and if you backwash before then, you'll just throw it out. Also, don't retest for it for a week so you won't accidently get too much in there.

Having said that, before you add it, can you give a current set of water testing results -- everything. Also, how does the water look now?

TA - 200
    PH - 8
    CY - 7 <--- not too sure no higher
    FC - 2

Water is looking better been filtering for the past 3 to 4 days. No more green blue but cloudy I vac all dead algae out did a good backwash till clear. added muriatic acid half gallon.
    33'x33' round 28K gal AG vinyl pool; skimmer BBB; Sandollar 60 200lb sand sand filter; Pentair 1.5 pump; hrs; Taylor; well; summer: none; winter: none; ; PF:4.3

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

If you are going to add the cya to the skimmer, wait to add it until your water clears up because if it is still cloudy, you will most likely be backwashing and you'll just lose the cya. Wait until water is clear to add it to the skimmer OR add it in front of a return jet (in an old sock) and then the backwashing is no longer an issue.

Thanks. do I need to still add bleach everyday since I think i am loosing a lot. It seems to be clearer the next day after adding bleach but by the next day turns cloudy again.

Yes. You need to be testing at least twice and 3x or more per day is even better and each time, you need to be adding enough bleach to get your chlorine level back up to about 10. It is best if your testing times are early morning and in the evening and hopefully at least one other time. While you are still having cloudy water, you need to follow this testing regimen EVERY DAY. When you finally get to the point where you lose no more than 1ppm of chlorine from sundown to sunup and your water is clear, then you can let the chlorine level drift down and maintain it between 2-5.

If you let the chlorine level yo-yo up and down, it will take a long time to clear the pool. The more times per day you test and redose with bleach back up to 10, the faster you will clear the pool. In your pool, each half gallon (2 quarts) of 6% bleach will raise your cl by a little over 1ppm. So, that can help you determine how much bleach you need to add each time you test.

Angry Re: Aqua Green in color

I added 4.26 gallons of bleach last night. I got a water 2 samples this morning. I took them to 2 different pool stores. One was a well known pool supply store other local.

First store local
    PH - 8.1
    FC - 5
    TA - 210
    CYA - 8
    CH - 0

Well known pool store
    PH - 8.0
    FC - 5
    TA - 140
    CYA - 30
    CH - 0

Got home tested 20 mins. ago
    PH - 7.8
    CL - 0

BTW pool is clear now best it's been.

loosing CL now we have a down pour.

Boy, it sure would make it easier for you if you didn't have to rely on the pool store for testing! We like the Taylor K-2006 that you can find a lot of places. This link shows a place that has a good price for it.

http://www.amatoind.com/taylor-k2006-test-p-555.html

If you are able, it would probably be a good idea to invest in a good kit. It will pay for itself in no time!

Add more bleach tonight.

Thank going to get a kit.

May not be able to find that one locally in a store. May have to order it online. If you do, in the meantime you might be able to find a cheap 5-way kit from Walmart that would suffice in the meantime until you are able to get a good kit. I think it is about $15 at Walmart. The Taylor kit I mentioned above is around $46 I think if I remember correctly. (And worth every penny!)

+ Reply to Thread