+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hayward pump runing hot

Default Hayward pump runing hot

I have a 1 HP super pump that runs very hot. It kicks off about once a day which seems strange, you would think it would kick off like every hour. The volts coming in are fine. There is no air at all coming out of the vents. I blew it out with my compressor but didn't help. I also cleaned out the impeller diffuser. Is there a internal fan that should be spinning? If so what end of the motor do you disassemble to get at it? I cant find any expolded view of the motor.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Hayward pump runing hot

Welcome to the forum.

I have probably that same pump. Normal case temp is around 140 deg F if I recall correctly so they do run hot but there should be air flow. The fan is at the end closest to the pump and sucks air in those vents and blows out the rear. Possibly some critter built a nest in there and is blocking the air flow. You can pop the back cover off exposing the starting switch, capacitor, thermal switch and the whole rear end and with some high pressure air you should be able to blow toward the front. If you stick something in there to clean out debris just be careful you don't knick the windings.
    Al

Edit: There is a pic of the back end here. Hope you can view the pic.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...0447#post30447
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

Mines running 250 on the right and 300 on the left side looking at it from the back of the motor. I have a new one coming.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

OUCH!!!.
    When you get the new one you should take the old one apart, at least for curiosity. If you had a shorted turn or turns in the winding it would probably smoke so it's probably just blocked air flow like you found. I don't know what those insects are but there is a type that builds mud things in which they lay their eggs. I find them all around here, the latest this afternoon in a couple nooks and crannys of my deck swing. Found them in outlet boxes and even the ground hole on outlet strips. Wonder if they found the air passages and built a nursery. I'll bet it is serviceable. I'd take out the rotor which would come out with the fan and bearings and use a garden hose to flush the crud out of the stator housing. Water won't hurt anything if you don't leave it soaking for hours. After it's washed out put it in an oven to warm it up for several hours to evaporate any residual moisture before reassembling. That's what I would try.
    Al
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

+ Reply to Thread