+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pilot light won't light on pool heater

Default pilot light won't light on pool heater

hello, i have a teledyne/lars pool heater millivolt control type and my igniter won't fire up the pilot light. i've not had this problem before and yes the gas is on but i don't smell any or hear anything when i push the pilot switch down. any ideas? thanks Randy

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: pilot light won't light on pool heater

When I had a propane heater I used to have to hold the button in for a long time the first time after winter to bleed air out of the long pipe to the tank and pressure regulator. I used to wedge something to hold it in and walk away for a while. There is so little gas used for the pilot the bleed process is slow. Of course, could be something else too.
    Al
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

thanks Al, that's exactly what i was thinking so i held the button down on pilot for a long time and still no luck. i can't hear or smell anything coming into the heater. i know the feed /supply line is good because the heater gas line is split off my main where the other end goes to our gas stove which works fine. i don't know what or how to check for the gas, if this is the problem. most problems with pilot lights are keeping them lit once they are lit. i can't even get to this point. regards Randy

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

I was also wondering if the pilot light pipe and orfice could be plugged somehow. Any way to take that piece off the gas control valve assembly and check and clean it? Not sure how this is put together so I'm guessing. I believe there is another pressure regulator in the heater and that could be messed up. I guess I'd start taking the gas lines apart wherever possible and try and isolate where the flow stops. Never had to dig into one. Anyone else with ideas?
    Al
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

I'm with Poconos on this one. The first thing I would try is cleaning out the tube and orifice. This has happened to me twice before and that was the fix - best of all if it works its free.

Other issue might be the pressure switch, you might want to try jumping it and see what you get.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the pressure switch and all the other interlocks should prevent the main burner from firing but the pilot should still work. I may be wrong though.
    Al

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

No Al, you're right - the pilot is before the safety switches.

A spiderweb in the pilot tube could be enough to prevent the lighting.

HOWEVER! When I run into this at work - I back off and have the pool owner call their gas company to find/ fix the issue! I know some about this stuff, but I don't want to be responsible for blowing up someone's house!

I strongly suggest NOT to play with the internals/ gas piping, unless you are a qualified professional!!

Let's all be safe!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

well guy's you were right :-) the pilot light tube and/orifice was clogged. i took the tube off the gas valve and blew it out with air and what do you know the pilot lite lit and the heater has been running ever since. thanks again for the help. Randy

Yippee ! Another no cost and easy fix. Just took time to find it.
    Happy Heating.
    Al

+ Reply to Thread