+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: High TA in fill water

Default High TA in fill water

I got a sample of fill water from a friend to test for iron. I ran a full set of tests to see where he would be starting. Here are the results:

pH 7.7
    CH 280
    TA 400
    FC <0.2
    CC 0.2
    iron 0

All of these seem reasonable to me except TA. I'm wondering if the collection technique or transportation could have a big affect on the quality of the sample. He said he got it from the hose which will be filling the pool, but it was the water just sitting in the hose (he didn't let it run first). Also, I got it in a glass Kerr jar with a 2-part, vacuum-seal type lid (I think it's a standard jelly jar). It was probably in there for at least 10 hours, maybe as much as 24 hours.

Should I ask for another sample, perhaps directly from the spigot? And in a plastic bottle? Or is a TA that high possible from a city water supply?
    Last edited by AndyJ; 06-09-2010 at 09:51 AM.

sturev is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sturev 0

Default Re: High TA in fill water

Personally I would get a fresh sample! The FC & CC readings are probably not valid (those are very time sensitive). I have high TA in my water also, but found once I got everything up and running and added some acid, it came down and has stayed at a good level.
    Evan S.

AG FastLane Pool, 9x13 ~ 3,000 gal, COVERED/INSULATED 23X7, 30 gpm water pump (runs 12 hrs a day) AND a Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5 hp Pump (only used on occasion for the pool sweep), Hayward 100K BTU Heater, Waterway Flo-Pro Skim Filter & Slime Bag, no other filters

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I am much more inclined to doubt the CH and T/A readings than the FC and CC readings. Those may WELL be due to a contaminant in the container. Make sure your container is CLEAN first.
    Carl

Thanks. I will ask for a new sample taken under more controlled conditions.

Update: did a retest under more controlled circumstances. TA is really 400. Has anyone ever heard of TA this high? I'm wondering if this is something that must be lowered and what the consequences are if he does not.

He mentioned that after shocking he gets a reddish/brown tint which coats his filter cartridge. The red rinses off and he puts it back in. I was assuming that is due to low levels of iron.
    Last edited by AndyJ; 06-10-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I know how to use acid and aeration to lower TA, thanks to this forum, and I have successfully done that to my own pool. However, I'm not sure my friend will take the time to use that process on his own pool. I'm just wondering what negative effects a TA that high might have if he does not lower it.

That really is very high TA. Is this well water? Or is the water being treated in some way such as through a softener or sanitizer?
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

TA that high will help precipitate iron out of water (if it's there) and cause staining. It will also help cause a pool with high calcium levels become milky and impossible to clear up. It also will make pH VERY hard, if not impossible, to adjust. Think of the issues that would happen if, say, his pH were low and he had to add several boxes of Borax to get it raised--that much Borax causes other issues with cloudy water all by itself.

If I'm not mistaken, TA levels also can contribute to scaling problems in high calcium pools, especially those with SWGs.

It needs to come down!!

Janet

It is city water, directly from a hose, not softened or treated at all in the house.

I'll tell him that the TA needs to be treated and point him to the aeration instructions in this forum.

Thanks so much for your advice. I really appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread