+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cloudy pool problems help please

Angry Cloudy pool problems help please

Im a fairly new owner of an above ground pool 12x25 about 10,000 gallons, i opened my pool about 2 weeks ago only to find it really dirty almost black like in color, my husband has shocked it you name it he has done according to instructions from 2 different pool supply companies, and the pool is still cloudy, we have changed the filter last week, i dont have the correct test readings, but what i do have is this, this morning it was
    ph 7.6, cl 1.0 br 2.2,
    after testing my husband added about 10 lbs of pool chlorine, and at around 2pm the readings were
    ph 7.8, cl 3.0 br 6.5
    so i guess my question is what do we have to do to get it clear again, we are tired of spending $ and getting no results i would appreciate any help, thanks so much

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Cloudy pool problems help please

Welcome to the forum. By the way, I moved your post into a different section of the forum where we deal with cloudy water problems. (The Forum Q & A section is for questions about using the forum itself.)

We need to know exactly what all has been added so far. (Ingredients --- not just "shock.") I actually doubt that you have any bromine in your water but need to verify that. We actually also need more test results to really be able to advise you very well. We need: alk, calcium hardness, cya and actually two of the following -- FC, CC, TC. Your cl reading is most likely your TC reading but don't know for sure.

If you don't have a test kit that can measure all these, maybe for now a pool store can give you readings. Just don't let them talk you into buying a bunch of stuff! And they will try! We recommend that people test their own water because that way, you know the results are accurate. The kit we recommend it the Taylor K-2006 -- around $50 but well worth the money.

See if you can get these other readings and repost and with the requested info and I'm sure we will be able to help.

thanks i appreciate it and because my husband has been doing it they are actual bags of powder or salt or something that reads shock, he's added the pool chlorine, algae gone, stabilizer, and still nothing will try to get better testing kit he has been working on it for over 2 weeks now

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

What Watermom is asking for is the ingredient on the "shock" package. Many companies package either cal-hypo or dichlor (both are just different types of chlorine) and CALL it shock, which can be confusing. "Shock" is actually something you do TO your pool--it simply means raising the chlorine level to a point where it will fight whatever is in the pool. What method of chlorine you use is up to you, whether it's cal-hypo, dichlor, bleach, liquid chlorine, etc. So...what we need is the active ingredient in the bags of stuff your husband is putting in the pool. We also need the active ingredient in the "algae gone". How much stabilizer did you put in the water, and how did you add it?

Your best bet is to stop throwing stuff at the pool hoping it will clear, and let us guide you to getting it cleared up. The pool stores are in the business to make money, we are not--our goal is to help people get their pools clear so they can enjoy them with the least amouint of cost. You've already bought and added algae gone, which is not necessary and in fact could have added something to the water that will create yet another problem for you. The pool stores will sell you all sorts of stuff that you don't need, so the result is often a pool that is still unswimmable but a much lighter wallet. We are here to help you avoid that. However, in order to help you any further, we need the readings that Watermom asked for in the above post: Free chlorine, and either Total or Combined chlorine, pH, TA (alkalinity), calcium hardness, CYA (same as stabilizer). If you take a sample to the pool store and ask for a set of tests, they'll usually perform all of them. Get a printout, and come post the numbers here. Resist the temptation to buy the whole long list of stuff they will try to sell you (foremost on the list is Calcium, which you DON'T need in a vinyl pool but 98% of pool stores will insist that you have to add it). IF you must buy something from them, make it either a pool toy or a drop-based test kit that measures the above levels. Post your numbers here and we can get you going from there.

Also, is your filter sand or cartridge?

Janet

Wink Re: Cloudy pool problems help please

thanks again will do as far as numbers, and ill find out exactly what was added thanks again

+ Reply to Thread