+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ascorbic Acid Treatment

Default Ascorbic Acid Treatment

This is our first season owning a pool (came with the house we bought). After opening and running the pool for a week we started to notice stains that, with the help of this forum, we determined to be from metals in the water. After lowering the ph and chlorine we used a metal out product and ascorbic acid to get rid of the stains. The ph is now back to about 7.2 but I am confused about how to go about raising the chlorine level back up since I have seen several posts about not shocking for 2 weeks. What is the best way to do this and avoid getting algae in the process? The pool store suggested a non chlorine shock? Just don't want to leave the chlorine level low for too long...any help is appreciated!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Ascorbic Acid Treatment

Hi, and welcome to the forum!! Just start adding the chlorine slowly, watching for signs of staining. If you see them, add more sequestrant. If not, just slowly raise it to whatever your target Cl is, based on your CYA level (see the Best Guess Chart stickied at the top of the Chlorine forum). It may take a good bit of chlorine to get back up there, my understanding is that both the sequestrant and the acid eat up a good bit of it. Most of us on this forum use plain, generic, unscented bleach for chlorine--12.5% liquid chlorine is not available in my state, but others on the forum prefer to go that route...

Janet

I added a small amount of chlorine last night and by this afternoon I already see the staining returning! I am so frustrated by this. I guess that means I need to add more sequestrant, but my question is how often will I need to do this? I am on city water and don't have a heater...I can't figure out how metals could have gotten in the water in the first place. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You may have to add sequestrant each time you add water. Marie, our metals expert, can better advise you. She'll be popping on here at some point and I'm sure will take a look at this thread. Hang in there ........

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

If you give us a full set of numbers we can help you. Sometimes the water needs to be balanced before the stains will stay away.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Here are the numbers that we got from having the water tested:
    Free Available Chlorine .2
    Total Chlorine .2
    Total Alkalinity 103
    ph level 7.2
    calcium hardness 23
    Cyanuric Acid 99
    copper .4

we were told (by pool store person) that we needed to drain 1/3 of pool to get the cya level down and add calcium. Then add more stain out. Does this sound right? Of course, everytime we talk to someone else, there are more chemicals and lots more $!!! Thanks for all of your help!

Pool Info: inground 16,000 gallons, sand filter

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

It does sound like you need to get your cya down. This is what I would do first:

Drain and refill about a third of the water.
    Add calcium to get it up to 250 - 300
    Keep your ph at 7.2
    add bleach to get your chlorine up to the best guess chart of chlorine and cya that is in the sticky in the chlorine forum.
    Add the bleach slowly - one jug at a time
    If you see stain start to come back, then add more sequestering agent.
    If the stain persists more than a day after the sequestering agent, and your ph is still no higher than 7.4 add more ascorbic acid (or citric acid).
    Keep the pump running 24/7.

I think after doing this the water should be fine - whenever you get high chlorine along with high ph and there are metals in the water and not enough sequestering agent the metals will fall out and stain the surface of the pool. If you have metals it is always a good idea to keep the ph around 7.2. I always use the sequestering agent first before any stain treatment because it will generally lift any new stains. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Thank you so much for all of your advice...the pool stores have no idea how to handle this! My other question is about the best guess table...I am not sure how I should be reading it. Any help with this is appreciated greatly! Thanks!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

The best guess table is to help you determine how much chlorine you need to maintain in your pool all the time, and how high to shock the pool when that is needed. It is based on the cya level in your water. For example, if your cya level is 40ppm, then you must keep your chlorine between 3-6 all the time and if you need to shock, you will need to take the chlorine level up to 15.

Does that answer your question about the table? If not, repost with a more specific question and we'll try again.

Yes, that answers my question about how to read the chart. Right now my cya is high and I have to get it down, but not sure what number I am suppossed to be getting it down to.

+ Reply to Thread